Question Update BIOS for Ryzen 5 5600X compatibility on a prebuilt PC ?

Jul 13, 2022
I have a prebuilt Asus PC with:
  • ryzen 5 3600X
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • 16 gb ram (3200mhz)
  • Motherboard on CPU-Z says: GA15DH.303 AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.6
I bought a Ryzen 5 5600x and thought it would not be a problem but i get no signal on my screen, after doing some reasearch i think i need a newer bios update but i cant find any newer for my pc. Is there a way around this problem or do i have to buy a new motherboard ?

Jul 13, 2022
You must check 2 things
  1. What is the size of this motherboard, to see if a standard micro-atx or atx mobo would fit.
  2. ALL IMPORTANT: what PSU do you have, and what are the cables and connectors, and what power
not sure exactly which PSU i have but i can see that it has 500w and 80 plus. PSU should be fine?

And in fact, what is the usage of this PC ? Going from a 3600x to a 5600x is an upgrade, but not something to jump around for hours.
And with your GPU it is clearly not some high end gaming rig.
Why not upgrade the GPU, and keep the CPU? But with a 500W PSU you won’t go very far

Jul 13, 2022
And in fact, what is the usage of this PC ? Going from a 3600x to a 5600x is an upgrade, but not something to jump around for hours.
And with your GPU it is clearly not some high end gaming rig.
Why not upgrade the GPU, and keep the CPU? But with a 500W PSU you won’t go very far

i wanted to upgrade because i play a cpu have game and i have seen benchmarks with same gpu and with both cpus

Last edited:
Yes it seems like i have the latest drivers and it doesn't support ryzen 5 5600x, do you think its possible to buy a new motherboard without any problems?

I would not try too hard to get the 5600 working in the system, it's maybe around a 20% increase in CPU power and you are now going to be spending another $100 on a new motherboard, re-installing Windows. if a new motherboard would work depends on the connectors to the case the system has, if hey are not proprietary will be fine. But to me seems not worth the hassle.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I have worked on a few of those very systems they use a slightly off/tier Asus mobo made specifically for those series of Asus OEM gaming PC's. That said, they are standard with connections you can indeed replace the board if you so desire.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i wanted to upgrade because i play a cpu have game and i have seen benchmarks with same gpu and with both cpus

With your current GPU you would get about 98% the same performance vs the 5600x. In fact you would get that up until about an RTX 3060ti or 6600XT level card where you would definitely start to see around a 10-20 FPS gain in certain titles depending - and that delta continuing upwards as you go up the GPU scale. That's where you start to see the raw IPC performance increase that the Ryzen 5000 series gives you, and to take advantage of that (for it to have any meaning) you would also need a 1080p high refresh rate display. The above stated performance delta dissipates rapidly when going above 1080p (e.g 2k, 4k).