[SOLVED] Update bios for zen 2 chip

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

Soon I will build a new pc these are all the parts: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/JrjtcY
I've heard that a lot of B450M motherboards need a BIOS update and if you don't have a CPU that supports the bios it comes with you will get no screen. What micro ATX board should I pick that already supports the 3d gen chips under 100 euro's? I do have a Ryzen 3 2200G lying around, could I use that one just to update the bios and after that switch to the ryzen5 3600?

Thanks!

Solution
Yes you can use the Ryzen 3 2200G to update the BIOS.
Just be sure to read ALL the BIOS notes before you update.
If your BIOS is older than version F32, you need to update to F32 before you update to F41.
From BIOS F40:
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
and from F41:
Note:
Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as BIOS F40 Note's description in advanced

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you have a 2200G, then most B450 boards should support that out of the box - allowing you to update the BIOS to support 3000 series chips.

Quite a few MSI boards support BIOS flashing without a CPU/RAM installed, but since you already have a compatible CPU, there's no sense on focussing on that route.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yes you can use the Ryzen 3 2200G to update the BIOS.
Just be sure to read ALL the BIOS notes before you update.
If your BIOS is older than version F32, you need to update to F32 before you update to F41.
From BIOS F40:
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
and from F41:
Note:
Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as BIOS F40 Note's description in advanced

Solution

TRENDING THREADS