Update BIOS using unsupported CPU (in order to support it)

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hello,

I have a new Gigabyte X58A-OC and an i7 980 (non-extreme edition) that i have not installed yet. The default bios of the motherboard is F3 version but the i7 980 is on the "supported list" only from BIOS version F5B and after. My question is: Can i install the cpu, start the computer and update the BIOS using Q-Flash (during POST) or will I have to install a supported CPU first, update the BIOS to support the i7 980 and then only I can install the i7 980?

Note that I have a used i7 930 still attached to my older mobo. In case I must use a supported CPU before updating the BIOS, can I run the I7 930 without heatsink to avoid installing & removing my new heatsink many times?

Thank you,
Thomas.

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I would defenatly not recommend booting without heatsink because in bios the cpu will run near full speed thus causing it to heat up QUICK. I would say there is a possibility it will post with the unsupported cpu but not likely.

I'm quite sure that even though it doesnt show on the supported list, likely it will be fine. The only problem I see is the computer might not recognize it by the correct name, but likely it will run at the correct speed.