[SOLVED] [UPDATE]Cannot enter BIOS or clear CMOS - PC inoperable

Oct 10, 2019
Setup:
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P
i7-4990k 4.0 GHz
64 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Windows 10 Education 64-bit

Made a single increase in core voltage by .5 Rebooted, PC stayed on for approximately 7 seconds then shut off. Then it repeats itself over and over again. Tried entering BIOS, mouse works, but keyboard is disabled. Restarts, tries again, restarts....Tried several USB ports and 4 different keyboards, but none turn on. Somehow, the mouse has no problem. Just cannot get a functional keyboard to get into BIOS.

I have “cleared my CMOS” a dozen times with a jumper. No go.

I have replaced the battery; same thing. I’ve shorted the battery and replaced it with another (all new; all the exact type) — no go.

I’ve tried holding down power button down and rear button (after unplugging and then restarting machine).

I have now reseated the ram, disconnected every cable & every drive; I’ve removed then replaced every hardware component (all of course in the right place as before) — and now 6 hours later, all I get is one mouse that works. System turns on, all drives power up, monitor lights up (but displays nothing) and everything seems to be as normal, until it shuts down and reboots.

I’m desperate for advice/help. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

UPDATE I originally had assumed that it was not even entering POST, but somehow, the speaker was no good. Replaced it and it posted a series of 20 short beeps. Looked up Gigabyte’s POST beep codes; turns out that it’s a “Power Related Issue.” I replaced the PSU (with a weaker one which I had lying around) and it barely even started up. I’m just confused as to how one incremental change in the IXT utility (which supposedly will just boot to BIOS if there is any problem at all) could completely trash a perfectly working mobo/CPU/PSU...?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019
First of all, thank you very much for replying and giving me a host of options to try. Much appreciated! Unfortunately, none of them worked. There is however a number of posts who were able to successfully get into their backup BIOS by jumping pins 1 and 6 on their main BIOS chip, but some advise against it. It seems to depend upon the mobo. Will continue trying though.