UPDATE: Complete PC for $600 + tax from Dell

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I guess some people did no belive that what I said was true, here is part of the confirmation e-mail for my order:

2.4Ghz CPU
256 DDR2100
Geforce 4 MX
15 inch LCD..

www.dkuniverse.com/dellorder.gif

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Dell's are great computers for the "typical end user". What I mean is most people would be happy with one. I personally would not match a P4 2.4Ghz procesor with a GF4 MX video card but...for most people that would offer enough performance. I also think that PC 2100 ram strangles the memory bus to that CPU. Then again if you just want to use this machine and aren't too concerned about future upgrades buy it. Most come with a recovery CD wich makes it easy to fix catastrophic errors (unless you've modified the setup then it can get tricky).

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
the price is 620 + tax, so the closest you would round up to 600.

I just sold custom built Pentium Celeron 900Mhz, 128MB RAM, 10GB Hard Drive, 52x CD-Rom, slimbook pc for $320, (everything else integrated) so the Dell pc is half the price plus I get LCD monitor, so I don't think you really get the point.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think you need to look again. $673.50 rounds to $700.00. You're better off just saying you got it for $673.50.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Wingding's true identity</A>

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
wtf do the features have to do with a the rounding??? 673.50 would round to 700 not 600.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, we payed $139CDN for shipping when we got our P4 1.4GHz.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

dhlucke

Polypheme
I guess you didn't read the specs. you should read it again then make an issue about $70 difference.

<A HREF="http://www.dkuniverse.com/dellorder.gif" target="_new">http://www.dkuniverse.com/dellorder.gif</A>

Please explain what you mean by the $70 difference. You're paying closer to $700 and that's that. I'm not even discussing the system.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Wingding's true identity</A>

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
If you think it's not a great deal then you are a definitely a hardware newbie, It's sad that some people get advices from you... well, here is some beginners info for you. Open up pricewatch.com and put a system together for that money and then come here and post the specs with the lower/same price... I know I am not going to see your post again because it will be impossible to do... hope you will learn something from that...

Here are the lowest prices as of today:
2.4Ghz Intel 533FSB - $194 (Retail)
256MB DDR2700 - $65
40GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - $65
Geforce 4 MX - $55
15 inch LCD Monitor - $320

Etc…

Looks like I don't even have to even finish, because it's already over $675 mark... Besides, these were the lowest prices I have found and they were all in different stores, so you will need to add shipping to each component. When I tried newegg.com the price was even higher… Of course it's not top of the line system, but it's a great machine for regular homeuser. So, by getting this system, I saved about $300. Great Christmas present :)

oh and also, it comes with DDR2700 not 2100

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
who makes the motherboard and what chipset is it?
how big is the powersupply? can any mobo go in this case? the point is...will you be able to actually upgrade this system? and yeah you are getting a 2.4 gig proc but will you get the performence that that proc can really provide. and since you already showed that buying these parts gets expensive (mainly the montior), doesn't that make you wonder about the quality of the parts that dell likes to not tell you anything about? I just plain don't trust Dell not to do something that is in their own interest; in business someone always gets screwed and odds are Dell isn't getting screwed.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
it doesn't matter if I can upgrade it or not, this computer will be used primarily for e-mail, word processing, browsing internet and nothing more and the current specs are more then enough. I do not know the details yet, because the system is still in the mail. It is scheduled to arrive next Wednesday, for some reason they shipped via USPS, but I don't care as long as it's free.

as far as quality I am not really concerned about that, it comes with the warranty and I never heard anyone complain about Dell parts. btw I had Sony laptop (brand new) a year ago and that thing was falling appart, first fan, then hard drive, then dvd-rom... then I just gave up and after fixing it I sold it right a way...

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
... because there is nothing else to argue about... the system is cheap and end of story, if you don't count the monitor the whole computer costs $350, and I just sold Pentium Celeron 900/128MB/8GB HD for $320

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
320 for a celeron based system. ouch! someone got ripped off. and they thought they were getting a totally sweet deal I'm sure. but i wouldn't subtract 300 dollars off that price for the lcd monitor b/c it's prob not worth that much but I obviously can't back that up.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tommunist on 10/27/02 11:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its a dell. The word Ripoff is included free in the package!

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think your total price is actually $800 after shipping. Your link picture is shrunk so I cant see the details of your system. Anyhow it would probably cost about the same amount of money to build your own at $800 price tag with that monitor. Local pc show would reduce the price too. If your not into building your own systems for the benefits that offers the purchase fine. I guarantee that monitor has a crappy viewing angle for that price and a crappy refresh rate. I cant wait because next year you will probably be able to purcase a 17" LCD with tv and 170/170 viewing angle for $300. Hopefully by then you will be able to purchase a 17" LCD for under $500 by then that is widescreen HDTV with PIP / TV and 170/170 viewing angle. WOOT

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thanks for calling me a newbie. At least I know how to round.

Besides that, I think it's a very nice present considering what you want to use it for. Your girlfriend will hopefully give you some head so that you'll remember how to round.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Another one...

it's been said several times that the total price is $670 and NO you can't build the same system for $350 (without monitor)

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
yea you are right, I will probably get a head from my girlfriend, but I feel sorry for you because even if you have gotten this computer you would still ended up jerking off...

dhlucke

Polypheme
I wouldn't waste $673.50 on that PC. Hopefully it'll make your girlfriend happy.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>