UPDATE - Dimension 8200 Hard Drive Problem

I took everyone's advice and started backing up my data to DVD in
preparation for imminent failure.
I ran the Maxtor diagnostic software and it showed a SMART attribute
failure. I then DL'd a program called SIGuardian which listed the attributes
and their values. The value for Reallocated Sector Count was in the failing
range. Evidently there was data in bad sectors that had been moved. I was
surprised to read that a surface scan would not show this since the
reallocation portion of the drive is invisible to surface scanning software.
Learn something new every day !
Also found out a whole bunch of other neat stuff about the drive. Presently
running at 98 degrees, has 4093 hours of run time on it, has realocated 1988
sectors, etc. Cool program - wish I had a crack for it - expires in 30 days.

Thanks again for the help - maybe this will help someone else in the same
situation.

Scandisk certainly won't tell you all the dirt about a drive. Depending on how
the manufacturer's diagnostic is written, it may or may not via a surface scan
which scans only the "current" surface excluding the bad sectors previously
reallocated. Often the diagnostic produces a report which reads out the list of
reallocated sectors, no matter when they were reallocated... Ben Myers