Update disables internet access.

Akari

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hi all.

I'm having a little problem with a new computer i built.

Firstly, the specs:

Psu: Antec TruePower 750W Blue
M/B: ASUS M4A87TD-USB3 Motherboard
Cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (16Gb in total, 4x4Gb sticks.)
Graphics: HIS Raedon HD5770 1GB

Basically, what that's happening is when I update Windows 7, the internet on the computer get's disabled/won't work.
Everything else works, but there is no internet, no matter what I try after the update, I can not get internet back.

I have had to restore the computer to before the update to get internet back on it.

I'm a bit lost at what step to take to find out what is wrong.

Any help anyone offers is greatly appreciated as I am out of my depths with this one.

Thank you all kindly,
Regards Anthony.

EDIT: I tried the update again and it did the same thing, so went into the connection properties and set the ip, subnet, default gateway and DNS server numbers. The internet is working currently, but for some reason the numbers I entered will dissapear after a reset of the computer. It needs to be re-entered after each reboot. I don't know if this helps..

jb6684

Distinguished
When you say your updating Win7,
- is your system already loaded with Win 7 and, you're simply are you talking about just going to Control Panel-->System-->Check for Updates and installing latest patches?

What Win7 control panel are you going to to set connection properties and set the ip, subnet, default gateway and DNS server numbers? These appear to me to be setting I would typically find and make in my Router (Netgear), not the PC. My router is set for DHCP and so the computer will be assigned an IP ... automatically.

Akari

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

Yes, i am just updating Windows 7 from the control panel.

Umm. Network and sharing center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Right-click, properties of Local Area Connection -> Internet Protocol V4/v6 (TCP/IP) Properties -> Use the following address and then I enter the addresses.

The computer will only work on obtain the ip automatically if I do not update Windows 7.

Thank you for your response.

Regards,
Anthony.

jb6684

Distinguished
Thx for showing the path to the Manual Network settings.....(hadn't gone there in Win7, only back in Win XP days..)

What are the components that the Update is trying to install? (you could try a one-by-one approach to determine the Exact upgrade component that is causing the problem...)

But, basically you have a network adapter in your system if it has a Bad Driver, often you can't get to the internet at all....(Yukon/Marvell/Realtek are some adapter chip brands) In your case, sounds like there might be a communication issue to your internet modem / router. (because the PC's adapter should be able to go out and fetch the IP & DNS info from the router automatically.)

Is the router Old? I'm wondering if it has something to do with IPv6 support (vs the older IPv4...)

Sorry, can't be more precise yet... (see if you can narrow down which component in the upgrade is causing the issue, that would be a good clue..)

Akari

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hi,

The update that is causing all the problems is the .Net framework 4.0 and SP1 for Windows 7.

The router is fairly new, less than 4 months old.

After another system restore the computer started to pop an error message.

" Could not load file or assembly 'sorttbls.nlp' or one of it's dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.' "

I did some looking around and it seems to be linked to the .Net framework 4.0, I have tried all the suggested methods for fixing the issue. I have completely wiped the .Net framework using the windows tool including all registry's and re-installed it. I have tried the sfc /scannow command prompt option to try repair the /Net framework.

Even after using the system restore function I can't get the .Net framework 4.0 to fix itself, the only thing I have left to try is a complete re-install of Windows 7.

The network is not working on boot of the computer but when I enter the Network and sharing center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Right-click, properties of Local Area Connection -> Internet Protocol V4/v6 (TCP/IP) Properties and the options are set to obtain the IP and DNS addresses, I only have to click ok then the internet starts to work. I don't physically change any settings, I just enter the option and click ok and the internet starts working.

I have no idea whatsoever what is happening so any assistance provided is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony.