Question Update for 2 year old BIOS needed for 4080?

Devilbound

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
As per title. My mobo is Aorus Elite B550 V2 bought two years ago and I have never updated the BIOS yet (as it has worked) so the BIOS is what came with the mobo, released a few months before I got the board. The BIOS has since then seen two updates on the manufacturer page after that BIOS. There is also one chipset driver update available for the mobo.

Now I just bought a new GPU, the Asus TUF gaming (not OC) RTX 4080. My old one was MSI Armor RTX 2070. The first 4080 that arrived in the mail was faulty, and now that the replacement is in the mail I want to be sure to do as much as possible to make sure the card works okay this time around.

That is why I am asking about the BIOS update; how much is an BIOS update recommended (or even needed) in this particular occasion? It is something I'd rather avoid, tbh. And what if any other recommendations apart from updating the GPU drivers themselves and enabling rebar and 4G in BIOS would you have?

Many thanks in advance for any possible replies.

Rig, copied from sig:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
A-Data 32Gb DDR4 @ 3600Mhz
Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 16Gb
B550 Aorus Elite V2
Kingston 1Tb A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD M.2 2280
Seasonic 750W Focus PX-750

Playing on LG 55 Nano85 4K Ultra HD NanoCell LED TV.

Last edited:
The latest BIOS update is not something that you absolutely HAVE to do in order to run your PC correctly, but it is recommended to update to the latest version, as it can resolve/prevent issues that may appear in the future, in this example, your GPU working correctly. In any case, it will only benefit your system.

Reactions: Devilbound

Devilbound

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
The latest BIOS update is not something that you absolutely HAVE to do in order to run your PC correctly, but it is recommended to update to the latest version, as it can resolve/prevent issues that may appear in the future, in this example, your GPU working correctly. In any case, it will only benefit your system.
Thanks!

Reactions: Dj0gany

TRENDING THREADS