Update: I Decided to get a new processor, now there is another issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildstar43

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello,

before I wanted to build a computer using a previous generation processor Phenom X3 8400. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Phenom II X4 840. Now I have completed the build and have a new issue. I transfered the old HDD and Optical drives from my old computer. When I tried to reinstall Windows Vista, I was already having some issues getting the new motherboard and the old HDD to work together. Do I have to purchase new Windows software??

Solution
what is the exact nature of your problems?
looks like you might have to re-activate your windows copy. you should contact microsoft support and ask them.

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Have you changed your motherboard? I'm guessing the version if Vista on your HDD was OEM, which is tied to the motherboard it was activated on. If so, yes. You will have to buy a new copy of Windows.

wildstar43

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I'm having trouble with Vista after it had loaded up. A couple of hours later, Windows shut down with a violation message. So I reinstalled it again and I am going to check with Microsoft. I do not know if it is reconizing the new motherboard. I do know that it is OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.