Update On Oculus Rift Ready Bundles, International And Canadian Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Rampo

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
theres still tax on top of that price for canadians 13% where im from and theres shipping too ...this is pretty sad as i was waiting for VR since DK1s .....now theres no way im spending that much on it

Rob24ert

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
theres still tax on top of that price for canadians 13% where im from and theres shipping too ...this is pretty sad as i was waiting for VR since DK1s .....now theres no way im spending that much on it

what about samsung gear vr?

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

what about samsung gear vr?

These prices are getting crazy. I'm 1500$ away from rift cv1 and I already have a gaming pc, just need a new 500$ video card. I'm going to milk my dk2 for as long as it's supported and hopefully competition will bring prices down next year.

Gear vr is nifty but not 850$ phone nifty.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Also, if they start selling the rift in stores as a stand alone, we can cut down on the inflated pricing with shipping and brokerage fees at the border. I got milked pretty good with my dk2 but at least the exchange rate was reasonable back then.

This is what happens what a massive company like facebook buys out a promising project.
Also, do even have a catalog of content for VR? Im still missing the point where I can play some games that are actually good looking on VR....

Sharky36566666

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Can anyone here answer these questions?

I have ordered the rift on February 16th ( yesterday) and I noted that I do not receive my RIFT until July of this year. I also have not received my discount coupon for Canada yet ( 200 USD = 275 CAD), which is fine.

The Alienware PC's are not being sold on the Canadian websites, yet, so I will have to wait to get the PC that I want.

My questions are;
1) will I get a discount coupon for ordering a Oculus PC from the Canadian Alienware website?
2) Will the coupon for Canada be equivalent to the 200 USD you advertised?
3) Can I delay the use of the PC discount coupon for several month? Until July or later ideally?

Thank you for your time. Can't wait to try your product,
Cheers -

G

VR is the most over-hyped junk ever. Game-changer? Nope, just some gadget that's fun for a few minutes, and then boring.

wudai_e

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
WoW... There are actually sheeps that are buying into this biggest stupid marathon hype in human history.

I hope they fail on their first run just because of the years-long constant none stop hype which I've gotten sick of.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
VR isn't the future, augmented reality is where the future lies. The hololens and similar devices are going to lead the way as they have a more practical use.

The problem I see with VR, is that it isn't something that's "pick up and play". It needs a whole setup to work. You need to put something on your head that will cut you off from the real environment you're in. I can't just sit down and play. I have to tell the wife and kids that I'm going to play and that I'll be unreachable during that time because I won't see or hear them. So, yeah, it's great for a planned session of gaming, but I don't see this being THE way to game in the future.

I think of VR like I think of amusement park rides or going to the theater to see a movie in 3D. A very cool experience, but one that needs to be planned in advance, as in "not practical" for short sessions or in a not-dedicated home setup.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I think a lot of people underestimate the versatility of VR in the home, especially future iterations. I'm sure it will never be for everyone, and there is no replacement for a real life staples, like a physical monitor, or real life interaction, for that matter. That said, this year's VR is still teething; bulky, expensive PC, wires, poor specs, low content. But imagine, stand alone VR or wireless headsets, playing a future version of Wii sports where you can be in the game. Your kid can have his headset standing over on his mat and you have yours, playing in the same game. tennis, baseball, golf. Foveated rendering high resolution. The technology is in motion for this to be a reality within 5 years easy.

A lot of the typical negative comments in this thread can usually be dispelled with one question, "have you even tried VR?"

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I think both are viable and will have different uses. AR will be your every day wearable virtual assistant, smartphone replacement. VR will be for hardcore gaming/ experience/in-depth social interaction tool. I think tv/monitor gaming will be the current day equivalent to wimpy smartphone games, compared to what's coming with VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.