[SOLVED] Update PC editing video 4k/6k

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nanoweb

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Hi everyone,
need help.
My old pc is 8 years old and it's fighting hard with my new lumix S1H files. I use proxy but it's not fluyd anyway, computer crash often and doesn't export if I use too much effects.

My configuration is:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
-CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
-RAM: Corsair 16,0GB Dual-Channel 2*8BG DDR3-1600 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-27) serie vengeance
  • Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 (MS-7816) (SOCKET 0)
  • Graphics:
monitor LG 22EA53 (1920x1080@60Hz)
monitor LG 22EA53 (1920x1080@60Hz)
GPU 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) 32 °C
- Storage:
238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD)) 22 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B1 (SATA ) 24 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B1 (SATA ) 24 °C
-Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40
- Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

If I'd try to increase the RAM until 32GB (but Mobo can go until 64GB DDR3) and change my GPU with one very good that I can use also in a newer configuration later, could be enough? Or I really need another PC? In this case suggestions?

Thank you all.
Bye.

Solution
Hi guys,
I look around and the problem of the GPU is quite hard to pass, but I think I really need to change mine.
I tried all your configurations and suggestions and finally I got two solutions:

1. DELL ALIENWARE.
I tried two setup:
a. cheaper, based on 5800x and 3060 ti. Less powerful but I can push with the PSU until 1000w (is it a good choice?) and playing a bit with the options without overbudget
https://www.dell.com/it-it/shop/gam...rationid=9022242d-9a5e-4ac7-9733-4fe045c6264a
b. more power but more expensive. To keep it low I put a PSU of 500w and I can't do much more...
Thanks! It is the one I was considering, but finally I decided to return the 360 and save money for other stuff... I took the 240 that fit perfectly in the be quiet! 500.

Yesterday night I finally bought almost everything of my build. I made some changes.
Here is my shopping:

COOLERARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler€ 83,50€ 7,99
MOBOMSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard€ 215,85€ 8,52
RAMPatriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16€ 293,00
STORAGESabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive€ 74,89
STORAGEGigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive€ 299,00
GPU
CASEbe quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case€ 73,52€ 6,95
PSUSuper Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply€ 126,79
€ 1.166,55€ 23,46€ 1.190,01
CPU: Probably 5900x. Price is going down, now is at 605€. I'm waiting a bit more and I'm buying it.
GPU: who knows... wait and hope. I'm checking if I could find some used one of at least 4gb vram and wait for reasonable price for the rtx 3000 series.

As you see I decided to:
  • take a x750 mobo (before to read @ocer9999 but thanks! He read my mind :) ): it was just 20 euros more than the Asus b550, then I took it
  • sabrent rocket 512GB instead of the 1TB crucial: it's enough space for OS and programs but better and faster SSD
  • For now I'm waiting for the storage RAID. Someone told me it's better don't do RAID (it's software, not hardware and so it'consuming) and backup inside the PC, but outside. I'm thinking about it. I have time. For now it's good. Maybe I can take another SSD or a single HDD for documents/storage/ecc... and using external solutions for backup. (suggestions?)
What do you think about it? I'm quite happy! Not so expensive but powerful. With the 5900x and hopefully a good GPU I think I can work good and fast.
The MSI Tomahawk does hardware RAID 0,1,10. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification For your build you would be running this is a RAID 1 (mirror). You won't get any increase on write speed but you will increase the read speed from the drives. I also agree that you want an external backup, but having the RAID allows for added security if you forget to do a backup. Not to mention external backups can fail as well, say you use a single external disk and you drop the disk and it breaks or get corrupted. Just remember that RAID isn't a backup system, it is a redundancy system to prevent against drive failures and increase performance. With your projects that need long term storage you will have to make the decision if you can survive a single drive failure or not.

I think that he could also benefit from using an online repository service or cloud storage service for long term storage as well. These services have gotten really cheap over time and is another layer of redundancy for protecting your project data. What do you think @jeremyj_83 ? This is not my usual wheel house.

I think that he could also benefit from using an online repository service or cloud storage service for long term storage as well. These services have gotten really cheap over time and is another layer of redundancy for protecting your project data. What do you think @jeremyj_83 ? This is not my usual wheel house.
Yeah there are for sure different online cloud storage places that can be used. The costs of those services varies but from what I have seen it is around $20-25/TB per month for storage. The biggest problem there is 1TB of storage in the cloud will cost the same as 2x 4TB HDDs after 1 year. You trade a fixed cost for a continuous cost. The other major problem with cloud storage is that it usually costs you money to take the data out of the cloud. Say you need your backup, well it might cost you $5 to download it from the cloud depending on the company used.

Edit: I just looked at Google Drive and they charge $10/month or $100/year for 2TB. That is the cheapest I have seen.

Yeah there are for sure different online cloud storage places that can be used. The costs of those services varies but from what I have seen it is around $20-25/TB per month for storage. The biggest problem there is 1TB of storage in the cloud will cost the same as 2x 4TB HDDs after 1 year. You trade a fixed cost for a continuous cost. The other major problem with cloud storage is that it usually costs you money to take the data out of the cloud. Say you need your backup, well it might cost you $5 to download it from the cloud depending on the company used.

Edit: I just looked at Google Drive and they charge $10/month or $100/year for 2TB. That is the cheapest I have seen.
I see, I could have sworn it was cheaper than that. Thanks for the information on that.

*Damn even dropbox is 10 dollars a month for 2tb.

I see, I could have sworn it was cheaper than that. Thanks for the information on that.

*Damn even dropbox is 10 dollars a month for 2tb.
Cloud computing isn't cheap. Servethehome went to the cloud in like 2010 but like 5 years after that they moved thing back on-site. By doing the budgeting they were able to save something like $50k/year by having their own data center. It gets even more crazy when you have large systems. A small SAP HANA DB (minimal RAM for PRD is 256GB) in AWS is about $1,600/month on a 1 year contract. When you get into systems using 1.5TB RAM, cost jumps to $9k/month on a 1 year contract. I know of multiple companies that have SAP HANA DBs that need 1.5TB RAM.

Reactions: helper800