Update Problem and Boot Problem--Related?

calgal1077

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Over the past several months since I upgraded to Win 10, many Cumulative Updates fail to install. I have it to set to auto update. I've run the troubleshooter many times and it always has to repair some incorrectly configured component. The update will eventually install, but it will happen with another update within the next few days.

That's really annoying, but what's worse is that sometimes, when it restarts my system after trying to update, it won't boot up.. About twice a week, I have to use System Restore. Once I even had to save all my files and let it reset, if that's what you call it--I had to reinstall all my programs.
Somewhere along the way, it says "Later you can search for information on Inaccessible Boot Device."

I don't know if these two things are related, but I sure would like to stop this very frustrating situation. Can someone please help me?

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
The updates failing to install is weird. I would disable any 3rd party Anti-Virus or Firewall programs as they may be blocking the update.

The non-bootable system could be any number of things. Are you getting a BSOD? In this case it could be that an update makes changes that are otherwise unwanted to the MBR/Boot Manager.

The updates situation can be easily fixed. As for the MBR/Boot Manager; best I can recommend is that you grab a backup solution akin to a snapshot solution. These programs work well in saving things Windows System Restore can't. So programs, files, etc...all there. Some good snapshot programs include Comodo Time Machine and Rollback Rx.

I think your priority would be to disable a program that would block these updates; the MBR issue should rectify after a few updates but implementing a snpashot program should alleviate any stress that comes from having to recover the computer.