Update Recommendations

tak888

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello guys
I currently have a PC I built about 5 months ago and as I was on a strict budget most of the parts can be upgraded.
I am planning on upgrading once every year just so I won't get carried away and splurge on something that becomes ancient in 6 months.

I have so many places to upgrade I need the Tom's hardware people's opinions to make my decision.
Here's my computer
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 955
Mobo: ASROCK 880GM-LE
RAM: Kingston Generic 2x2Gb
HDD: 500GB Seagate barracuda 7200rpm
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 6850
Case: Antec 300
Cooler: default
PSU: Antec HCG 520W
Mouse: Logitech M500
Keyboard: Gigabyte $15 cheap ass one that came with a mouse that sucked

I think that's the lot
What I am planning on so far:
1. Within the next week get a CM hyper 212+ since its really cheap for what it does
2. Towards Christmas buy myself a 120GB SSD
3.Around middle or April next year new mobo+maybe bulldozer if if comes out.

That is what I have planned but it is subject to change.
Other upgrades include putting 6850 in crossfire + a HCG 900W PSU (Just for the sake of upgrade proof), a new monitor, better keyboard, more RAM (need new mobo for more RAM),adding blue-ray, etc.

The highest I'll most likely spend is 220 dollars and I use my computer for everything from Web surfing to playing Diablo 3 when it comes out. If there are other components I should consider please don't hesitate, go all out with me.

If any of you don't like my plan ITS OKAY I WILL CHANGE IT :D

Solution
well all that you listed is a lot more than 220$, just the SSD alone will cost about that. The thing with SSD's is everything you load onto it will see the increase in performance, anything that it on the hard disk will not see the performance upgrade of the SSD. Personally, for 220$ i would just go with another Radeon 6850 and put it in crossfire and get the hyper 212 so you can overclock the cpu a bit.

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
well all that you listed is a lot more than 220$, just the SSD alone will cost about that. The thing with SSD's is everything you load onto it will see the increase in performance, anything that it on the hard disk will not see the performance upgrade of the SSD. Personally, for 220$ i would just go with another Radeon 6850 and put it in crossfire and get the hyper 212 so you can overclock the cpu a bit.

Solution

tak888

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
sorry what I meant was any parts I buy won't exceed 220 dollars. In other words I was expecting the SSD to be the most pricey item to buy.

Anyway thanks for your input! I do have some time before Christmas more time to decide, I will go and get the cooler today and do some nice overclocks (hopefully my chip holds)

tak888

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
okay I just checked my mobo and I found out that it does not support xfire hahaha
I got hyper 212+ and managed to get a stable 3.9 Ghz going :D

Which means I guess a new mother board will be pretty high on the priority list.
Which comes down to:
At christmas time this year is it better to go for a big 900W PSU
or a new mother board?

Thanks!