update the BIOS and 4-in-1's?

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I am using a Shuttle AK31 v3.1 and Windows XP. What is the recommendation on immediately - or relatively soon - updating the BIOS and 4-in-1's as they each become available? Shuttle tells me to always update to the latest BIOS, but is silent on the 4-in-1 issue. Is their advice correct, and what about the 4-in-1? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

"Veni, vidi, vino."
"(I came, I saw, I drank wine.")

Ratch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your having some kind of trouble, flashing your BIOS may help out. When a new BIOS comes out, check it out before installing it. See if it will enhance your machine. For example, the New BIOS may fix issues with hardware you don't have.

As for the 4 in 1's, again, if your not having any trouble with the current ones, wait and see how they do on other machines. This advise may be a bit conservative, so it's up to you.

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks. That's always been my sentiment, but there's gotten to be such a buzz at online hardware/gaming fansites when a new 4-in-1 (or BIOS) is released/leaked that I thought I was missing something.

"Veni, vidi, vino."
"(I came, I saw, I drank wine.")

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Nope I rather agree. I use the latest 4-in-1 when I install windows and dont update it unless there is a reason. The BIOS is the same, I may flash it if its old or there is a fix/enhancement, but once the machine is running why risk blowing the BIOS with an unneeded flash?

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!