Update to Windows 10 failed again

Status
Not open for further replies.

megah961107

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I try using the method when I can't wait for it to be ready:
1) Delete everything you find in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
2) Run command prompt as an Administrator and use the command: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
3) When preparing to install, it suddenly fails with an error code: 80240020

When I try to use the Media Creation Tool downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 it simply shows "Something happened" and won't upgrade.

Help me again, everybody!

Solution
Good news:
I have just discovered that using the installation DVD created from the media creation tool will fix the problem.

Use the installation DVD to upgrade to Windows 10 if upgrade failed using all of the steps above:
1) Delete everything found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then use Administrator Command Prompt wuauclt.exe /updatenow
2) Use Media Creation Tool to upgrade causing "Something happened".

So, don't just give up!

Epicbeast9z

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Boy oh boy i feel your frustration, I stayed up until 4am trying to get it to work, then spent all today, I tryed the delete files then cmd(got multiple different error codes as my update history is spammed by them) tryed the install tool(same issue as you). Even called microsoft support and was on phone for hours they took control of my pc remotely and it still didnt work for them( they told me to call back in day or two if doesnt work) Im fed up, i cant use a iso because then it wont be free. Please tell me if you find a solution.

megah961107

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

The way you say is also true. I'll try to turn on my Windows 8.1 laptop at early morning continuously (without restarting). I'll not give up.

Epicbeast9z

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

hey Meg, so should we delete all the files in the 2 folders the $windows bt and the software or just let them chill?

Epicbeast9z

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

idk, i recommend just keeping the files for 2 days to see if windows 10 installs itself like its supposed to, thats also what the Microsoft support told me. But tbh this whole "easy upgrade". is a pain in the butt

megah961107

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Good news:
I have just discovered that using the installation DVD created from the media creation tool will fix the problem.

Use the installation DVD to upgrade to Windows 10 if upgrade failed using all of the steps above:
1) Delete everything found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then use Administrator Command Prompt wuauclt.exe /updatenow
2) Use Media Creation Tool to upgrade causing "Something happened".

So, don't just give up!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.