Question UPDATE: Win 10 Update breaks ASUS motherboard - PC freezes on Windows boot, desperate for help, please!

Karl89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
UPDATE: Sent PC to repair guy and after much investigation, he found out that the last update I installed for Windows 10 causes boot to freeze on my motherboard. He tried installing a prior version of Win10 and it worked fine.

Story: PC worked fine. Did a Windows update the day before yesterday, rebooted PC, used it for few hours just fine. Rebooted PC then went to bed without watching the PC reboot.

Come morning, PC is off, won't turn on as power button does literally nothing at all. Bring it in to repair shop, he manages to get power to it after re-seating everything. Tries stuff and finds out he can't boot Windows on the M.2 SSD but can on the SATA SSD.

I bring it home, format all the drives, reinstall Windows on the M.2 SSD, won't boot. SO then I try the SATA SSD, same thing. Then I try the HDD, same thing.

Windows will install but on boot, the little dots circle stops spinning and freezes, on all three drives. Tried changing RAM, grounding CMOS, nothing.

This obviously feels like a hardware issue, but I'm stumped. Any guidance on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thank got

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021
How did I forget, sorry.

Mobo: B350-F
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 1st Gen
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD
Hello! Did you perhaps resolve this issue?? My own system does the same things and I am a little dumbfounded as to why... Thank you!

Karl89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2014
Hello! Did you perhaps resolve this issue?? My own system does the same things and I am a little dumbfounded as to why... Thank you!

Hey,

Brought the PC in for repairs and the way the tech repaired it was by reverting to a previous update of Windows 10 Home. They started with a fresh reinstall of most up to date version and the issue persisted. So they started reverting one update at a time (fresh reinstalling with that version each time) until one "worked". Then they updated the system through Windows and it worked fine. Can't explain how or why it worked, but it did.

Best of luck to you.

Nov 13, 2021
Hey,

Brought the PC in for repairs and the way the tech repaired it was by reverting to a previous update of Windows 10 Home. They started with a fresh reinstall of most up to date version and the issue persisted. So they started reverting one update at a time (fresh reinstalling with that version each time) until one "worked". Then they updated the system through Windows and it worked fine. Can't explain how or why it worked, but it did.

Best of luck to you.
I also called for someone to repair it cause I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I hope it can be sorted out.
Thank you for being so kind and responding!!