Updated ASUS PG279Q For 2018?

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I am asking if there is any better version of similiar features monitor for 2018 for around the same price point, maybe it has HDR, 1ms instead of 4 and so on, or is this still the best monitor at this price point to get?

hey papies,

its still the best monitor for this pricepoint.

if u can tell the difference between 4ms and 1ms I would be honestly suprised.
the 1ms monitors are usually tn panels and can not compete with ips panels.

hdr monitors are really expensive, I mean if the sky is the limitt if you can afford this : https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014

I don't have the PG279Q but I do have a 144hz monitor, only reason why I a getting it is for the 27inches and better colors. but I've also noticed the PG348Q, it's $200 more expensive than the 279 and it's 34 inches wide, but only 100Hz, I did lower my refresh rate to 100 on my monitor, while it's slightly noticable on desktop that I think I've gotten used to within 15 minutes, the games seem smooth and I would only notice the difference if I am really looking for IMO.
What are the benefits and drawbacks for me to choose the 34 inch compared to the 27 one?

Edit 1: It has also come to my attention that 100Hz is only with overclock which I am not a fan of.

overclocking is safe nowadays especially when the manufacturer ships it with the product.

the benefit of a 34 inch monitor is the cinematic experience which is great for rpg kind of games.
You don't need a 144hz monitor except when you play csgo at a serious level, but than youre also looking at 24 inch monitor so the view is more "compact".

the only drawback of a 34 inch monitor compared to a 27 monitor is the space.
if you want a smaller screen you can just set 2 blackbars left and right on the monitor, I don't remember if this was a button on the monitor or a windows setting but it was really easy to do.

cheers mate, lmk if u have got more questions.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014

My question is warranty, I don't want to go breaking over $1000 worth of a monitor.

I do want a bigger monitor, the one I have is VG248QE which I don't like the colors of it, but I enjoy 144hz.

I play games like DOTA2,TF2 and others, while I am competitive, I have no plans to go pro tomorrow.

And how do games handle ultra wide, I remember nvidia made a presentation with 10 series and how they fixed the sorround viewing so they don't stretch to mars.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014

That is Source 1 engine Dota 2.

sorry i dont know anything about this game , but im quite sure it supports uwqhd in the settings.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014

That's okay, I am on a decision point between 144hz smoothness or go 21:9 with 100hz