Updated BIOS and now getting inaccessible boot device error

Dec 26, 2018
So, I have the MSI Z270-A Pro motherboard. I just went to update it to the latest BIOS version, and once it was done and booted back on, I got a blue screen and “inaccessible boot device” then it would restart and the same thing.

I’m running Windows 10 on a SSD, and I have a HDD plugged in as well. I tried to just reinstall a fresh copy of Windows and now it says I can’t install it on either drive because they’re formatted as GPT. I have no idea what to do.

Solution
Flashing BIOS returns BIOS settings to default settings. You should have a record of any BIOS options that differ from default settings prior to flashing the BIOS.

When installing a new Windows 10 OS, you can use an empty drive, and Windows will create the partitions it needs. You have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions on the drive at the beginning of the Windows installation. This will give you an empty drive for a new installation.

Flashing BIOS returns BIOS settings to default settings. You should have a record of any BIOS options that differ from default settings prior to flashing the BIOS.

When installing a new Windows 10 OS, you can use an empty drive, and Windows will create the partitions it needs. You have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions on the drive at the beginning of the Windows installation. This will give you an empty drive for a new installation.

Solution