Updated bio's and upgraded CPU, now monitor wont start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
Hello

So i'm helping my nephew upgrade his PC. He bought a i7 7700K CPU, which he want's to use on his motherboard Asus z170 pro gaming. We read that he need a bios update for the new CPU to work. So we went to Asus website, downloaded the latest update, put it on an USB. Restarted, went to bios and did an easy flash, and updated the bios.

The PC then rebooted, asked it should recover the bios, or enter bios. We said enter bios, and exited bios. PC went to the desktop just fine. We then turned it off, put in the new CPU, and pressed power.

Now nothing showed on the monitor. So we figured the bios wasnt updated correctly. We then put the old CPU in which is an i5 6600K. Monitor still shows nothing. We have doubled checked that everything is connected like it should. Monitor registres its connected, but says no signal connected.

And now we are kinda at a dead end.

Anyone got a solution for this? Really want to help my nephew

Darkvillan

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Did check your socket and make sure no pins are bent in the CPU Socket, also have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM? This was my solution when I had a similar problem, good luck!

Feb 27, 2018

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we did both things. So that probably isn't the issue here.

Hi

After changing a cpu you should reset the cmos memory using the jumper
This makes the bios try to redetect the new cpu during start up
Then gointo bios and load default settings

Since you have a intel cpu you could remove the gpu and connect the screen to one of the motherboard graphics output ports

Try this with the old cpu first

Regards
Mike Barnes

Feb 27, 2018

Hello, thanks for your reply. We tried jumping the mother board in two ways now (with the old CPU). According to the manuel we did a "clear rtc ram". next we did a jump on the power switch. It turned on, but still nothing on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.