Updated bios failed how to resolve

happytriger2000

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,
I tried updating the latest BIOS for Asus P8Z77-VLK under Bios EZ flash Utility, the CAp file is saved in a USB flash, after executint the CAP file, the computer restart and sound beeping from the computer inner speaker, screen blank, is it possible to recover it?
Os = win7 64.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
If you really did a bad flash, there isn't an easy way to recover. You can physically replace the flash chip on the board (requires soldering to your expensive equipment), or send it back to the manufacturer for repair (possibly).

It's possible you didn't screw up the flash, though, and it's just an issue that's arisen with your hardware and the new firmware. If you've got onboard video, try removing any discrete cards, remove all but one memory stick, etc. Basically, try to power on the computer with the least amount of hardware in it. Also, if there's a CMOS reset button on your motherboard, push it.

I would recommend doing what willard said and removing all unnecessary hardware from the computer and then remove the CMOS battery and let it sit for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Put it back in and see if it helps.

You might be able to also use the reset jumper on the motherboard if it has one, sorry didn't look at hte exact specs, as an alternative.

happytriger2000

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi again,
It is working!!. I removed 3 memory (leave 1 memory), 1 TV card, 1 USB 3.0 PCI-e and 1 USB 2.0 PCI, remove battery waited for 30 sec~1 minutes, put the battery back on, Power on, and entered win7 64.
I think I'll quit update Bios for now...unless someone can guide me step by step.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Unless there's a specific reason you need to update the BIOS (like a bug fix or feature you really want) I'd advise you to leave well enough alone for now. Try putting your computer back together and see if it works with everything plugged in again.

Hi :)

I can NEVER understand why people risk updating the Bios as if it were a simple driver, which it is most definitely NOT..

It is the riskiest thing you can do to any computer, we see LOTS of wrecked motherboards in my shops from failed Bios updates (which were generally done for no particular reason :( )

All the best Brett :)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I've found that people are chasing nonexistent performance most often when they unnecessarily flash. They think newer is better, and better is faster, so they're eager to update their boards.

Flashing should be left to the experienced users only unless there's a very good reason for you to learn. Most of the time there just isn't.

Bios flashing even by experts is always a risk...I agree...

In my shops if a customer comes in and wants US to flash it for them, we have a long discussion about WHY they want it done, and if that does not put them off, we make them sign a legal disclaimer that we will do it but ONLY at THEIR risk....

That tends to put off 99% of the remainder lol...

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Yes your spot on there Bret, the amount of people who bring in a Pc saying they flashed the bios and it went wrong is amazing, More so is asking them why they chose to do it in the first place if the system was working fine in the first place.
I always warn people not to do it if there is no problem, the only case where it may be needed is for new processor support. I have seen a few people buy a board and a chip where it requires and update of the bios to support the cpu though, partly through people not checking the board will support the cpu first with is bios revision. For most of the time it is best left alone.

Totally agree....

The problem is made slightly worse unfortunately by Forums like this...

Users read about "flashing the bios" and think its a 10 second job that's easy and improves speed (or something)

They REALLY need to know they could BRICK their mobo , but that's rarely pointed out...

happytriger2000

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,
The reason I wanted to update bios was because the Uptech UTB270 USB 3.0 PCI-E wasn't working when I installed it, so I emailed uptech about this and he/she replied me that either the USB3.0 is faulty or an Bios upade is needed, so I chose update Bios and end up here in this forum asking for help.
I got an Error code 10 when installed Uptech UTB270, does any one know the meaning of this?