[SOLVED] Updated BIOS for 2600x to 3900x. No output.

May 22, 2020
I am using the B450 tomahawk from MSI. MS-7C02 ver1.0
I have tried using different amounts of ram in different spots.
Tried removing, waiting and putting the CMOS battery back in.
Tried the 2600 again and it didn’t work.

full story here. There’s some confusing details that might help.

Got new 3900x. Took out old CPU (hadn’t updated BIOS yet). Put new CPU in. Obviously didn’t work so I updated the BIOS using the USB and on-board button.

I kept getting different things with the onboard red LEDs. On CPU specifically. I thought this may be because I got some thermal past of CPU so I removed and cleaned it off. Still didn’t work (also paste is non conductive)
This is where I started troubleshooting and swapping between CPUs. For some reason the 2600 worked for a second with 8GB of ram. I took the opportunity to try and update the BIOS and ran it but it completely turned off part way through. (No clue why). Tried more troubleshooting and swapped back to the 3900x.

After a while and using flash button and USB again it made it to OS. HURRAY!
but after that, NDIS error. Weird crashes a few times, restarts itself a few times then won’t go back to OS. This is where I am at now.

I turn on the PC. The RGB turns on, fans spin up, graphics card spins up. No LEDs on mouse and keyboard and monitor Has no display signal. There are no debug lights turned on.

I have tried troubleshooting the same way as I did before by trying to flash the bios back to an older version but there is nothing happening. (I will send pictures/videos of start up if that helps)

Reactions: dunelm
Solution
Remove the cmos battery and then hold down the power button for 20 seconds, as that discharges the electricirty. It often won't work if you don't reset the power. Then try again with the 2600 and see if that works.
pics/ videos of startup would also be useful

dunelm

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Remove the cmos battery and then hold down the power button for 20 seconds, as that discharges the electricirty. It often won't work if you don't reset the power. Then try again with the 2600 and see if that works.
pics/ videos of startup would also be useful

Solution