[SOLVED] Updated BIOS. Now can’t boot Windows

Jun 13, 2020
Hi all,

Just updated my Computer BIOS (2014) to the latest available BIOS (2018) via the official website for AORUS for my laptop.

After updating, the system reset and re-entered the BIOS system again. I restarted again and it keeps booting into BIOS, won’t move onto Windows.

Things I’ve done:
-Checked boot configuration and only showing ‘UEFI OS‘
-Advanced / SATA Configuration detects my SATA drive
-F9 function disabled (to go into System recovery mode)

1. What can I do to boot into Windows? (Runnings WIN 10 64-bit).
  2. How do i reinstall windows without losing my HD data
  3. Can you rollback BIOS?

Last edited:
Solution
Solved the issue for the future members encountering this.

Issue
-Updated my laptops BIOS firmware to the latest version
-Restarted laptop and started experiencing BIOS loop
-Realised my new BIOS was booting into UEFI BIOS mode
-My HDD wasn't configured for UEFI BIOS. It also configured for MBR / Legacy BIOS.

Solution
-Started up laptop
-Went into BIOS. Disabled the secure boot in order to allow me to switch from UEFI to Legacy. Save & Exit.
-Rebooted with USB flashdrive priority (Win 10). Started Windows Installation setup
-Opened up CMD and opened 'Notepad'. Backed up all my files into an external HDD
-Formatted the entire SATA HDD and configured drive to GPT for UEFI BIOS. Used this method...
Jun 13, 2020
I also read here that if you did a clean install of Windows 10 it can boot from UEFI mode.

But if you did an upgrade of Windows from 7 or 8 to 10, then it needs to boot from Legacy mode (which is not showing).

2020, thought tech life was meant to be easier l, not harder lol

Jun 13, 2020
Solved the issue for the future members encountering this.

Issue
-Updated my laptops BIOS firmware to the latest version
-Restarted laptop and started experiencing BIOS loop
-Realised my new BIOS was booting into UEFI BIOS mode
-My HDD wasn't configured for UEFI BIOS. It also configured for MBR / Legacy BIOS.

Solution
-Started up laptop
-Went into BIOS. Disabled the secure boot in order to allow me to switch from UEFI to Legacy. Save & Exit.
-Rebooted with USB flashdrive priority (Win 10). Started Windows Installation setup
-Opened up CMD and opened 'Notepad'. Backed up all my files into an external HDD
-Formatted the entire SATA HDD and configured drive to GPT for UEFI BIOS. Used this method: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/ec4114d6-a036-457d-bec8-139dc77c5898
-Restarted, went into BIOS again, switch from Legacy to UEFI, Save & Exit.
-Restarted and now was in UEFI BIOS boot and began Windows 10 installation on a HDD configured correctly (GPT) for UEFI BIOS OS.

The reason for the formatting was because new BIOS is UEFI OS mode. The HDD was previously configured as MBR which is not supported by UEFI OS and as such, does not recognise the HDD at boot up, hence - Windows not loading. Bios loop.

Useful Links which helped me along the way:

Boot to UEFI Mode or legacy BIOS mode
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode

Windows 10 Installation Issue "Can't install Windows on GPT drive"
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/ec4114d6-a036-457d-bec8-139dc77c5898

Solution