[SOLVED] Updated Bios with .zip file instead of the actual bios file, laptop dead - ASUS FX504GE

Jul 20, 2019
Bios files for my laptop come in zip files. And the official (Asus) guide says to unzip the file and then update from the file itself. But a foolish decision on my part led to this:

I upgraded the bios using the built-in EZ3 Flash utility. I've already done this before, but I used the actual bios file which ended with the version number (.317 in this case) as the extension and it worked fine. This time I selected the zip file which was then rightfully recognized as a bios update file along with its version 3.18 when it asked me to confirm, so I thought it would work fine and said ok, it took a while to reach 100% (around 5 minutes, as usual) and said the update was successful then the display went off and that's it. I haven't been able to turn it on since.

I've tried unplugging the battery and the CMOS battery for 20 minutes and pressing and holding the power button for 1 minute to no avail.

Is resetting bios even useful in this case?
Or is the damage so bad that I need to replace the bios chip or whatever (which I don't know how to do, so I'll have to take it to a repair shop)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
IF (emphasis on IF) you flashed the compressed file to the firmware, it is borked. the BIOS anyway. the laptop may have a removable BIOS chip (unlikely) in which case replacing the faulted BIOS chip will do the trick. more likely is the mainboard of the laptop will need to be replaced.

I would call ASUS and see if they have recovery tools for laptops like they do for some of their motherboards.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
IF (emphasis on IF) you flashed the compressed file to the firmware, it is borked. the BIOS anyway. the laptop may have a removable BIOS chip (unlikely) in which case replacing the faulted BIOS chip will do the trick. more likely is the mainboard of the laptop will need to be replaced.

I would call ASUS and see if they have recovery tools for laptops like they do for some of their motherboards.

Solution