Updated: CPU BLEW! compatible CPU's for Dell XPS 8700 needed

May 19, 2018
During a game of Fortnite my computer shut off completely and a puff of smoke came from my CPU, I usually run Arma 3 on default settings with little to no problems. Though on Fortnite I play on lowest graphics settings possible. So I'm wondering why and how this could've happened, I usually game with YouTube or Netflix running in the background as well as Razer Cortex. Is there a reason why this happened? and what CPU'S are compatible.

on the motherboard a small black square with a silver tile on it has blown and is shattered leaving behind a dark purple battery acid looking stain.

Hi grim.molly, any fourth gen Intel CPU will work like the i7-4770 or really any i5 or i3 of the fourth generation. Double check your motherboard and if it is a Z87 take a look at your options for 4th gen CPU's that will be okay for that chipset and you should have no problems...but then again, your motherboard might be the problem.

As to why it died....no idea. The PC you bought must be around 4 to 5 years old and some part might just have given up.

There is nothing in a processor that could likely give off smoke if it fails.
A processor will shut down by itself if it detects a dangerous temperature to prevent damage.
You need to find out first what actually failed.
Most likely candidate is the power supply or motherboard.

See if you can open up the case and look for burnt components or isolate any smell.

Diagnosing such a problem will usually be done by selectively replacing components.
That is a problem for an individual who usually will not have a stock of spare parts handy.
You might take it to a local shop for diagnosis.
Be careful, some unethical shops will substitute bad parts for good and still charge you for repair.
Don't know if Dell can help.

May 19, 2018

On the motherboard there is a small black square with a silver tile on it, fragments of the smaller silver tile are there but it's mostly dark purple and brown scorch marks now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Replace motherboard if you are OK with your setup, but anything newer will require not only new mobo, but also new ram and new cpu as nothing but storage will be compatible. The OS might give you issues too since the registration is tied through the motherboard and is Dell proprietory. I'd suggest you contact Dell support and get their help on this.

Yep, more than likely that your motherboard has blown. You should be able to pick a cheap second hand Z87 or Z97 motherboard on ebay...I have checked and you have a lot of options and very good prices even for new ones. That would be my first choice before anything else. Replacing the Motherboard is not as hard as it looks and you should be able to find many guides on youtube...You are on DDR3 so it will be a straight swap of all of your components to the new motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS