[SOLVED] Updated CPU / Motherboard, PC logs into windows but crashes after a couple of minutes

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I recently had the opportunity to update my PC (CPU and Motherboard). There were a number of headaches along the way including a faulty mother board which I was able to RMA. Now, my PC boots into Windows and may be fine for a couple of minutes but then crashes (black screen, fans are still running) or restarts. Sometimes it doesn't even finish booting windows or may be fine for a while but pretty much crashes every time I log in. This also occurs during Safe Mode. The only time it doesn't crash is while in UEFI settings.

The temps and voltages seem to be fine (40-60 C, ~1.3V). I have basically replaced the CPU and Motherboards twice...so I'm pretty sure they are fine. RAM appears to be fine as well (Checked with MemTest86 [passed, no errors] and they worked fine in the previous build). What else might be causing this?

My next strategy is to try a new PSU (the original is about 5 years old). I was also thinking how I have my Windows OS from my previous build on my m.2 SSD. I assume that this shouldn't be a problem but since I changed the mobo and the cpu, maybe there are instability issues on this front (and I need to do a clean install)?

Any other recommendations would be really helpful! Please find my specs below.

System:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Cooler: Stock, Wraith Stealth Cooler
Mobo: MSI b550m pro-vdh wifi
GPU: Zotac GeForce 1060 6 GB
PSU: Corsair CX-M 550 W

Solution
So tried the beta bios version and now the CPU light actually turns off. Now it's just stuck flashing on ram every 5-10 seconds. I've tried both sticks together and each one by themselves and I get the same light behavior. So strange that I needed a bios which came out yesterday for the CPU to work but I'm guessing that there may be something with the mobo as it relates to the ram. So, I'll keep at it (already requested a new motherboard)... We'll see. I'll keep you updated.
Alright got an update (probably my final one). So, it turns out you don't want to blindly trust PC Part Picker when determining compatibility. Although my ram sticks were fine on their own (and no warnings popped up on PC part picker), they were not...

Lutfij

Titan
When you swap the motherboard in your build to something new or old, you're advised to reinstall your OS from scratch. You should recreate your bootable USB installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools.

A 5 year old PSU isn't going to output the same amount of power advertised when it was brand new.

Reactions: drivinfast247

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
When you swap the motherboard in your build to something new or old, you're advised to reinstall your OS from scratch. You should recreate your bootable USB installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools.

A 5 year old PSU isn't going to output the same amount of power advertised when it was brand new.

Hey there, thanks for the message. I did not know that until recently... Makes sense. So, I created a boot able USB installer for windows from a working computer. I even got a replacement psu. Unfortunately, can't even get through the installation without the pc crashing. I'll keep trying that though. At this point, the mobo, cpu and psu have been replaced. Even though they seem to work, my next option is ram (as far as I can tell). The last thing that's left is the Gpu but I'm really trying to avoid getting a new one of those right now. Thanks for any other recommendations!

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Just another update. Tried a replacement motherboard (renewed from Amazon). Now it won't boot at all. Gets stuck with the CPU error light with the ram light flashing every 3-5 seconds. Is it possible I've gotten another bum board?

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
What motherboard? Maybe it doesn't support 5xxx series without a BIOS update?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's what I figured initially, too. It's the MSI B550m Pro vdh wifi. I did a bios flashback which completed successfully and it just had the same behavior (cpu light solid with ram flashing every 3-5 seconds).

It's just surprising. If I put all my old components together (previous cpu and mobo w ram and gpu), it works fine, no problem but I just can't get this new cpu/mobo working. I've gone through 2 cpus and 2 mobos at this point. Of course, each time I replace something (cpu/mobo) the kinds of errors/malfunctions change. I'm going to keep at it but I'm almost at the point of giving up and just keeping my previous system.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that's what I figured initially, too. It's the MSI B550m Pro vdh wifi. I did a bios flashback which completed successfully and it just had the same behavior (cpu light solid with ram flashing every 3-5 seconds).

It's just surprising. If I put all my old components together (previous cpu and mobo w ram and gpu), it works fine, no problem but I just can't get this new cpu/mobo working. I've gone through 2 cpus and 2 mobos at this point. Of course, each time I replace something (cpu/mobo) the kinds of errors/malfunctions change. I'm going to keep at it but I'm almost at the point of giving up and just keeping my previous system.
What BIOS version did you install?

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
What BIOS version did you install?
Thanks for the question! I just installed the latest non-Beta version [7C95v2A] which was released on 3/22/22. A beta release just came out yesterday[5/18] (7C95v2B1) but I thought that a beta version would be even more problematic but I could certainly try it out. It probably can't hurt. I'll try it once I get back home.

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Thanks for the question! I just installed the latest non-Beta version [7C95v2A] which was released on 3/22/22. A beta release just came out yesterday[5/18] (7C95v2B1) but I thought that a beta version would be even more problematic but I could certainly try it out. It probably can't hurt. I'll try it once I get back home.
So tried the beta bios version and now the CPU light actually turns off. Now it's just stuck flashing on ram every 5-10 seconds. I've tried both sticks together and each one by themselves and I get the same light behavior. So strange that I needed a bios which came out yesterday for the CPU to work but I'm guessing that there may be something with the mobo as it relates to the ram. So, I'll keep at it (already requested a new motherboard)... We'll see. I'll keep you updated.

amccab3

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Alright got an update (probably my final one). So, it turns out you don't want to blindly trust PC Part Picker when determining compatibility. Although my ram sticks were fine on their own (and no warnings popped up on PC part picker), they were not compatible with the board...hence why all the weird malfunctions or inability to boot. I used pangoly to find a specific ram kit that works with the board (QVL) and worked like a charm. So, that has been one painful lesson...always double and triple check your compatibility (from a variety of sources). Thanks so much for everyone's assistance and thoughts. It was very helpful! Hopefully I won't need to, but I'll definitely come back here if I hit any snags in the future.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Solution
Alright got an update (probably my final one). So, it turns out you don't want to blindly trust PC Part Picker when determining compatibility. Although my ram sticks were fine on their own (and no warnings popped up on PC part picker), they were not compatible with the board...hence why all the weird malfunctions or inability to boot. I used pangoly to find a specific ram kit that works with the board (QVL) and worked like a charm. So, that has been one painful lesson...always double and triple check your compatibility (from a variety of sources). Thanks so much for everyone's assistance and thoughts. It was very helpful! Hopefully I won't need to, but I'll definitely come back here if I hit any snags in the future.
Glad you got it figured out.