[SOLVED] Updated Fritzbox DNS settings to Google DNS but all devices still using ISP's DNS Servers

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hi there

So I recently changed my IPV4 and IPV6 on my Fritzbox 7490.
I did this by going to: Internet > Account Information> DNS Servers
And manually put in googles Addresses
However all of my devices still show as using the default ISP DNS server settings, am I missing something or does it just need to restart?

Thanks Amatex

Solution
I know nothing about that device but there tend to be 2 DNS settings. The first is the one the router uses and the second is the one that the router gives to end devices via DHCP.

How do you know that your end devices are using the ISP DNS server.

If you do IPCONFIG /all what do you see the DNS server set to.

The default setting on most routers is to use the router as a proxy to whatever DNS server you set in the router. The other options are the router gives the end device a DNS server via DHCP you set and the third is if you set a fixed IP then the DNS server is whatever you set

I would disable IPv6 support both in the router and in your pc. IPv6 causes a lot of strange issues and provides almost no benefit.

There is a...
I know nothing about that device but there tend to be 2 DNS settings. The first is the one the router uses and the second is the one that the router gives to end devices via DHCP.

How do you know that your end devices are using the ISP DNS server.

If you do IPCONFIG /all what do you see the DNS server set to.

The default setting on most routers is to use the router as a proxy to whatever DNS server you set in the router. The other options are the router gives the end device a DNS server via DHCP you set and the third is if you set a fixed IP then the DNS server is whatever you set

I would disable IPv6 support both in the router and in your pc. IPv6 causes a lot of strange issues and provides almost no benefit.

There is a tiny chance the ISP is forcing DNS to their servers, this is rather rare now days unless you live in a country trying to filter content.

Try

IPCONFIG www..tomshardware.com
IPCONFIG www.tomshardware.com 1.1.1.1
IPCONFIG www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

The first will give you whatever your PC thinks is the default setting. The second and third should actually show you the DNS server name in the first part...you don't care what IP actually resolves and it can be different. You should see cloudflare and google as the dns servers.

Solution

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah so after I changed the DNS Server to manual in the router.
I did Ipconfig /all and it still had the default DNS server (the same as the fritzbox IPV4 IP Address)
I also looked at my Network connections Status tab and it showed the same thing.

Also the IPCONFIG commands you provided above do not work give me an error: unrecognized or incomplete command line.

I also know our ISP Uses both IPV4 and IPV6 Apparently so I don't really want to mess with it.

Actually I might give my modem a restart since I haven't done that since the server change