[SOLVED] Updated Need Help With i9 9900k Temp With 5ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an i7 7000k and just wondering is it worth upgrading to Intel I9 900K just that thinking of upgrading today and i know need a new motherboard so going to buy one that dose not need an bios update just that I have an 1080ti but want to make my performance more better. My New motberboard will be
ASUS ROG STRIX Intel Z390-F GAMING 9th Gen ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1498MHz (21-22-22-50)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z270X-DESIGNARE-CF (U3E1)
Graphics
ROG PG278QR (2560x1440@165Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)

Last edited:
Solution
That what I was thinking buying new cpu and sell the other one it. My shop will buy it for 130 pounds.

Anyway what’s the best motherboards that under 250 pounds and above 200 pounds that’s an gaming one

Let me warn you off the bat, the 9900k has problems on many cheap-er Z390 boards.

You want something like the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, MSI MEG Godlike Z390, or ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9.
Sure the the board does drop at top loads because I don't sync all cores.Why bother ?
You ignore the performance that counts, max turbo running 5GHz at low loads, where we all live. I'm just interested in the low load speed. Showing that this board runs 5GHz at idle at 26C and 4.7GHz at 100% load at 60C is enough to rate this board as extremely satisfactory for the cpu, which is the topic. 5 GHz at low loads/temps is very nice and contrary to the opinion of others who say it does not qualify for a 5GHz cpu because of temps.
And no I'm not going to sync core ratio just to prove a point.
BUT I agree I have not run it at that speed.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sure the the board does drop at top loads because I don't sync all cores.Why bother ?
You ignore the performance that counts, max turbo running 5GHz at low loads, where we all live. I'm just interested in the low load speed. Showing that this board runs 5GHz at idle at 26C and 4.7GHz at 100% load at 60C is enough to rate this board as extremely satisfactory for the cpu, which is the topic. 5 GHz at low loads/temps is very nice and contrary to the opinion of others who say it does not qualify for a 5GHz cpu because of temps.

5ghz at low loads is meaningless, thats just turbo frequency. You do not have your board overclocked, its running stock. 5ghz turbo on 1-2 cores, 4.7 ghz on 8 cores. If you are going to claim "5ghz ALL DAY LONG" then you need to actually be able to run 5ghz on all cores all the time. You aren't and that board can't, period.

Read the OPs post again, he wants to overclock eventually. The Prime running this CPU at stock speeds is NOT the topic. The Prime has been known to have problems running the 9900k at anything faster than stock settings. In fact without good cooling it even has problems doing that. I'm not ignoring "performance that counts" I'm directly responding to your spurious claim that you're running "5ghz overclocked all day long" you are not.

Now that we have determined that, let this go as you have taken this thread far enough off topic and are not helping the OP out one bit.

Lutfij

Titan
Some one had too much sugar in their coffee today.
threadjack2cv2.jpg

After the Prime series was first introduced by Asus to the market, they have taken it upon themselves to reshuffle the order in which the Prime series sits in their hierarchy. Even Asus are having trouble trying to justify where the Gaming/Gamer lineup is going with all the nomenclature going all over the place. As of this writing, the Prime's found in this day and age are nothing compared to the ones first launched. That being said, Prime's are bare minimum for a hassle free systembuild though for overclocks and for something that is power hungry, like the 9900K, you should look at something more cream-of-the-crop like that found off the ROG lineup.

I don't even see evidence in that screenshot that it IS a 9900k. As RL said, that could be any 8 core 16 thread CPU overclocked to 5Ghz, and it doesn't necessarily have to always show 5Ghz even if it IS a 9900k, or any CPU for that matter, if the low power states are enabled, the appropriate processor power states are configured for less than 100% min state and speed step/shift/cool n quiet are enabled.

Not saying that it's NOT one, but as RL said, that screenshot is evidence of nothing, and certainly not of a full time, all day 5Ghz. Further, anybody who configures a full time 5Ghz overclock on their daily driver system would be unwise to not allow individual cores to "rest" by keeping the ability for those cores to power down when not under a load, especially at an all core 5Ghz overclock with an 8 core CPU, hyperthreading or not.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
This might be a useful review for higher mid-end mobos https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i9-9900k_and_asus_z390_strix-e_review/4

I only say this because those high end mobos MAXIMUS etc. in my country are crazy expensive, I didn't really want to pay the same price for my mobo as my CPU at the time, but it's your PC and the best of the best is always good if you have the disposable income for it right

If your throwing cash at a MAXIMUS /similarly priced board then you should also be getting 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL15 or CL16 B-Die ram, you can make sure you get B-Die RAM just by googling the exact RAM model and hunting around

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Look at any benchmark that is not true at all. Your reply would be correct a few years ago, but most new AAA games do benefit more and more from multicore CPUs.
Eh, even Tom's recent benchmarks show less than 10% difference in average FPS between the two. And that's using a GTX 1080 @ 1080p.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-13.html
With a 1080 Ti at 1440p I'd expect even less of a difference.

Edit: I see no reason to upgrade CPU and mobo for an average single digit performance increase, unless you're having performance issues in specific games that you know will greatly benefit from the extra cores.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
ok I will prove the point.: how's this ?

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Still have proved absolutely nothing. Your cores with no load bouncing to 5ghz are meaningless. Under load you are at 4.7ghz on all cores. You can play all the games you want with hwmonitor. Show me actual loaded telemetry from something showing a sustained 5ghz on all cores at 100% load. You can't. And you have already contradicted yourself in trying.

Stop taking the thread off topic.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I just did--open the eyes.--you don't bother to read--5015 on all cores @ 100% load.

I am looking right at it, take a look at your own screenshot. You apparently don't know how the max column on HWMonitor actually works, it records the max that is not always at the same time, so if any of your cores hit 100% or 5ghz it will be recorded there. Look at the value column which is the time of your screenshot. Again, you are NOT running at 5ghz all day long. You already showed what your system actually runs when its at 100% load on all cores. 4.7.

Now I'm going to flip the switch to moderator mode and tell you if you continue to take this thread off topic you will be sanctioned.

Reactions: Barty1884

InvalidError

Titan
I understand what everyone is saying and might not be an good upgrade but nearly had my cpu for years now just like to upgrade my computer I want to play games on 5ghz that’s if it’s possible.
"[N]early for years", so less than two years then? :)

If you are upgrading for upgrading's sake, you may be sorely disappointed with how little net improvement you get for all your money, even more so 3-4 months from now when Zen 2 brings 9900k-class performance to sub-$300 CPUs.

I'm still happy enough with my nearly eight year sold i5-3470 that I don't feel like dumping ~$600 into a new CPU+MoBo+RAM yet.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Need Some more advice on my cpu temp?

Since we have solved this and its mostly a different question, you should star a new thread specifically about it with as much detail as possible.

EDIT: I see you changed the original post. Don't do that, because you will just confuse people. I can revert your post back to what was there and then you should make a new post. Let me know

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Will do thanks sorry did not want to make to many threads.

If its a completely different question then you can make a new thread. We definitely appreciate your desire to keep the forum clean trust me though.

When you have a totally new unrelated to the original question though it makes it much easier for people to help you.

Let me know and I can revert your post back to what was there so this thread makes sense.

If its a completely different question then you can make a new thread. We definitely appreciate your desire to keep the forum clean trust me though.

When you have a totally new unrelated to the original question though it makes it much easier for people to help you.

Let me know and I can revert your post back to what was there so this thread makes sense.
Yes if you can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.