[SOLVED] Updated Need Help With i9 9900k Temp With 5ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an i7 7000k and just wondering is it worth upgrading to Intel I9 900K just that thinking of upgrading today and i know need a new motherboard so going to buy one that dose not need an bios update just that I have an 1080ti but want to make my performance more better. My New motberboard will be
ASUS ROG STRIX Intel Z390-F GAMING 9th Gen ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1498MHz (21-22-22-50)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z270X-DESIGNARE-CF (U3E1)
Graphics
ROG PG278QR (2560x1440@165Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)

Last edited:
Solution
That what I was thinking buying new cpu and sell the other one it. My shop will buy it for 130 pounds.

Anyway what’s the best motherboards that under 250 pounds and above 200 pounds that’s an gaming one

Let me warn you off the bat, the 9900k has problems on many cheap-er Z390 boards.

You want something like the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, MSI MEG Godlike Z390, or ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9.
I have one and it was worth the upgrade.
I wonder about that particular board. It has features you may not want to pay for. Compare the cost /benefits with those of the Prime z390-A board, a very good value.
Just upgrade the memory as well. The board/cpu will support much faster dram so look for something @ 3200MHz.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Depends on what you are going to do. Game wise 7700K and 9900K is similar since games are still slow to utilize multi core/thread. Theres alot of benchmarks out there of the two side by side. If you stream then the answer would be yes it would be a huge improvement.

Look at any benchmark that is not true at all. Your reply would be correct a few years ago, but most new AAA games do benefit more and more from multicore CPUs.

OP while the 7700k is a formidable gamer the 9900k will likely still be viable for gaming further into the future. If you can afford it, it is worth it. And your old parts still have value so you can sell them and recoup some costs back.

Look at any benchmark that is not true at all. Your reply would be correct a few years ago, but most new AAA games do benefit more and more from multicore CPUs.

OP while the 7700k is a formidable gamer the 9900k will likely still be viable for gaming further into the future. If you can afford it, it is worth it. And your old parts still have value so you can sell them and recoup some costs back.

That what I was thinking buying new cpu and sell the other one it. My shop will buy it for 130 pounds.

Anyway what’s the best motherboards that under 250 pounds and above 200 pounds that’s an gaming one

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Let me warn you off the bat, the 9900k has problems on many cheap-er Z390 boards.

You want something like the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, MSI MEG Godlike Z390, or ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Also I would like to steam Xbox games onto my pc to.
You can stream Xbox games to a potato, no need to upgrade your PC for that since all of the heavy processing (running the game, rendering graphics and encoding the video) happens on the Xbox itself, your PC is nothing more than a dumb streaming video display device. Cloud gaming operates on the same principle: do all of the game processing and video rendering in the server farm, output the video to any device with the bare minimum processing power required to handle video decoding and keyboard/mouse/gamepad input.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

There will be negligible gaming difference at 1440p and above between the 7700k and the 9900k maybe 5 fps.. That was my point. You are not going to get a wow factor if you upgrade just for gaming.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
There will be negligible gaming difference at 1440p and above between the 7700k and the 9900k maybe 5 fps.. That was my point. You are not going to get a wow factor if you upgrade just for gaming.
I understand what everyone is saying and might not be an good upgrade but nearly had my cpu for years now just like to upgrade my computer I want to play games on 5ghz that’s if it’s possible.

Yeah I was looking at these and might pick one of them

Like I said, don't overpay. Comments like, the cpu needs extra attention, should not mean paying more $$$ over the cost of a good board. That Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero for example is $150 (CAN) more than the Prime z390 A which runs a 9900k perfectly.

As you know, the key to a well performing system is that all components are suitable. In this example, the dram, the case fans and the cooler are all important , not just the board itself.I run the Prime/9900k @ 5GHz all day, even at idle, and temps remain cool even at full load ( ~ 65C) because all the factors I have work together.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
1000W EVGA GQ Gold Hybrid

Ok that is decent. Better choices in that size /price range but you have it already its fine.

I understand what everyone is saying and might not be an good upgrade but nearly had my cpu for years now just like to upgrade my computer I want to play games on 5ghz that’s if it’s possible.

The 9900k turbos 1-2 cores to 5ghz stock, if you want to overclock to 5ghz all the time you need a good case and cooling.

Like I said, don't overpay. Comments like, the cpu needs extra attention, should not mean paying more $$$ over the cost of a good board. That Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero for example is $150 (CAN) more than the Prime z390 A which runs a 9900k perfectly.

As you know, the key to a well performing system is that all components are suitable. In this example, the dram, the case fans and the cooler are all important , not just the board itself.I run the Prime/9900k @ 5GHz all day, even at idle, and temps remain cool even at full load ( ~ 65C) because all the factors I have work together.

You are definitely NOT overclocking a 9900k to 5ghz on a Prime unless you live in a walk in freezer. That board (and others like it) gets many complaints for VRM throttling running a 9900k at anything higher than stock. This is a well documented issue.

That said I agree with the rest of your post, cooler, fans, etc are all very important especially with this processor.

You are definitely NOT overclocking a 9900k to 5ghz on a Prime unless you live in a walk in freezer. That board (and others like it) gets many complaints for VRM throttling running a 9900k at anything higher than stock. This is a well documented issue.

That said I agree with the rest of your post, cooler, fans, etc are all very important especially with this processor.

Wrong.I run it all day.
ALL DAY .

like to see ?

I understand what everyone is saying and might not be an good upgrade but nearly had my cpu for years now just like to upgrade my computer I want to play games on 5ghz
Ok that is decent. Better choices in that size /price range but you have it already its fine.

The 9900k turbos 1-2 cores to 5ghz stock, if you want to overclock to 5ghz all the time you need a good case and cooling.

my cooler is good and my case is huge and big space for things thinking of going for z390 around master and even if can’t get 5ghz then that’s fine

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Wrong.I run it all day.
ALL DAY .

like to see ?

Sure, show me, because you are the only one.

He doesn't need to go but a ROG Maximus, the ASRock and Gigabyte i suggested are priced similarly to your Prime and don't have the VRM issues. This is a well documented issue with the 9900k. Maybe yours does work, and thats great, but you would be one of few if any, and its not a good basis for advice.

my cooler is good and my case is huge and big space for things thinking of going for z390 around master and even if can’t get 5ghz then that’s fine

Ok then you have some options, The Prime will run that CPU stock fine. Personally I'd rather get the Gigabyte with a better VRM setup than the prime for a similar price.

He doesn't need to go but a ROG Maximus, the ASRock and Gigabyte i suggested are priced similarly to your Prime and don't have the VRM issues. This is a well documented issue with the 9900k. Maybe yours does work, and thats great, but you would be one of few if any, and its not a good basis for advice.

Ok then you have some options, The Prime will run that CPU stock fine. Personally I'd rather get the Gigabyte with a better VRM setup than the prime for a similar price.

Yeah going with the motherboard that you suggested anros one and sell my old cpu with the motherboard. The thing is my cpu now my brother gave me years ago so want my own cpu

Reactions: Rogue Leader

9900k.jpg

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That doesn't show me anything. I could show you the same screenshot of my 1800X running stock with 4.2ghz as the max all cores, because as you use it different cores will max out at different times. The 1800X will only XFR 2 cores to 4.2 stock (for the record).

Show me actual telemetry of the system under 100% load, say from Prime95 or something similar that shows me that every core is running at 5ghz.

If you're getting inadequate performance then the upgrade would be advisable. If it were me, I would be getting adequate performance from the 7700k and would not upgrade because i'd want to wait to see Intel counter to third gen Ryzen. The i7 7700k is still an excellent processor and 12 cores will look like to be the new main stream high end cpu's in the near future.

That doesn't show me anything. I could show you the same screenshot of my 1800X running stock with 4.2ghz as the max all cores, because as you use it different cores will max out at different times. The 1800X will only XFR 2 cores to 4.2 stock (for the record).

Show me actual telemetry of the system under 100% load, say from Prime95 or something similar that shows me that every core is running at 5ghz.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X ? The turbo is 4 GHz not 4.2.
It's normal for freq to lower as load increases. All cores freq lower slightly as load approaches 100%.

Look at the temps, the item the others who can't run this cpu had trouble with. They can read these temps and weep.

The freq lowers as the load goes to 100% on each core. When at 100% load on all cores, the freq is 4.7 GHz on each one. This is a great board.

9900.jpg

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X ? The turbo is 4 GHz not 4.2.
It's normal for freq to lower as load increases. All cores freq lower slightly as load approaches 100%.

Look at the temps, the item the others who can't run this cpu had trouble with. They can read these temps and weep.

The freq lowers as the load goes to 100% on each core. When at 100% load on all cores, the freq is 4.7 GHz on each one. This is a great board.

9900.jpg

Actually with XFR the turbo is 4.2 with the 1800X.

And this photo again is not telling me you're running "5ghz all day long" again, you are not. If you have a CPU OCed to 5ghz the frequency doesn't lower as the load increases, thats not how this works.

Your 9900K is running dead stock. Frequency stepping on the 9900k runs it at 4.7 ghz at 8 core 100% load

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k#Frequencies

5GHZ all day long means you have overclocked your processor, to 5ghz on all cores. You're running stock, which the Prime will do with a lot of cooling, which you have.

Again

CDqD1KV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.