Updated Oculus Rift Shipping Delayed Two Months, HTC Vive Head Promises Fulfillment Of April Pre-Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't want the first ones as they are still trying to get production right and the wait means one of the next next gen graphic cards may have just come out. If you have to update your whole rig for one of these things like I have to the more faster better bits the better.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Just got my physical HTC Vive yesterday. Works great!
Got a notice from Oculus that my order is delayed to the middle of July!
Both orders were placed seconds after golive.
I have also seen more news on here and other places that Oculus is researching "social" type content and design.
ebay prices: I have watched 4 auctions to completion. 2 vive and 2 oculus. Vives went for $2000+. Oculus CV1 autions went for around $1400.
I think it is time to cancel the Oculus.

Brandon_29

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I did exactly that. I placed my Vive order about 6 minutes after it went live. My rift pre-order was about 2 hours. After getting the late june response email from oculus I sent them one back and said keep it. I was planning on keeping both, but why wait that much longer for inferior tech. It may be more comfortable, but it is lacking the interactive component and that is critical to making VR different.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
The big conspiracy is that Oculus was supposed to have been stockpiling units since last October or so. So the belief is that they found a defect they don't want to admit to and now have to re-manufacture/repair. Calling a 'defect' a 'component shortage' is technically correct...I guess, but also very slimy.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The main thing the Oculus had going for it was that it would be the first onto the market. They don't have that anymore so their market viability is questionable.

all rights reserved

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I've been waiting for my vive for a while and have been promised it will arrive in April, I accept there has been a misunderstanding as I was expecting it on or near the 5th of April. What is the consequence if I don't receive my vive before the 29th? compensation?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
May, June, July Rift shipments are not affected at all by the delay.. The delay was only the March and April Customers. I was originally a March 28th customer and got my rift on april 11th.

The component shortage was the Xbox One Controllers and Wireless PC Adapter. Several high ups at Oculus have denied that microsoft is to blame, but a bunch of us on reddit can confirm that the xbox controller components were indeed the reason for the delay. Many users got controllers with small defects, like scuff's and scratches.

Microsoft produces these controllers and adapters at a very slow pace because they dont want to pay for storage and warehouse fees.. Xbox controller sales are a very predictable market, so Microsoft only produces maybe 115% of what they sell. So when the Oculus went on sale and sold 500K units in the first week, this caused a huge problem. The initial batch of xbox one controllers and adapters that was reserved for the Rift, did not materialize and show up on oculus's front door. So now oculus is frantically acquiring these controllers/adapters anywhere they can get them, until Microsoft can ramp up production.

The Xbox PC Wireless adapter had even lower volume, so i'm betting its the main reason. Very few adapters are sold compared to controllers.

With VIVE, they just messed up due to crappy programmers not coding a pre-order system right.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I got my Rift on Monday, it's the first time I've used VR and admit I was blown away by how realistic it feels. My favorite thing has been the Showdown cinematic demo released by Epic Games. It's has an amazingly high resolution that just makes it look awesome.
But with that said everyone who hasn't got theirs yet isn't really missing out. Firstly there are a lot of bugs and more polishing that needs to happen on the software side of things. My Rift has tendency to start stuttering like crazy and instantly makes me sick. The only way to fix the stuttering is to completely restart my PC and I'm running i7-6700k with 2 Titan X's so my PC is not slow. The other thing is the games that are available seem really expensive for what you get. Most of these games should be like $10.
So in a way people who don't have theirs yet might be good for them since us early adopters get to help beta test the software and improve it.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The component shortage was the Xbox One Controllers and Wireless PC Adapter.
That wasn't the reason for the shortage. A scratch on a few peoples wireless adapter is rather meaningless, evidence of nothing, I mean seriously. People had scratches on some of their rifts too when delivered. It was one of the other custom components. Multiple official and unofficial sources at MS and OVR deny it too as you pointed out. It will come out at some point what part it was but the controllers wasn't it.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
In other words -- Oculus doesn't know how to run a supply chain and product rollout.

That's like, Manufacturing 101.
you are talking as if it's easy to launch a product that's expected so sell in the millions in the first year. with so many orders any small problem with their production can result in big delays.
as far as i know there are no problems (or at least a very insignificant percentage) with the headsets they've already sent to people so i consider it a very big success. even the PS4 and xbox one had problems with the first batch.

m3rc1l3ss

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Later orders had nowhere near as bad of a pushback on my rift. Mine was July when I ordered and claims to be between the 25th of July and 5th of August now.

Status
Not open for further replies.