Updated PC Parts, Slower than Before

Nov 24, 2018
Hi, so I recently bought some used PC parts and decided to upgrade a rig that I've had for quite some time.
Before my PC specs were as follows:
i3-4150
some old motherboard
gtx 960
1 terabyte HDD
8 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram

New Specs:
i5 4690k
ASUS Z97-A Motherboard
GTX 960
1 Terabyte HDD
24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram

I found someone selling their i5 4690k, 16 gb of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Ram, and an ASUS Z97-A motherboard for only around 150 so I decided to buy. After installation, I ran the system and it turned on; everything seemed great. However when I loaded into a couple games, my frames seemed the same, maybe even worse. The games I tested were CS:GO (pretty CPU intensive game), Fortnite, and Overwatch. I would really appreciate the help, thank you!

Solution
Did you keep your original Windows install or did you install from fresh ? If still on original install, then I would expect the results youve mentioned as Windows will be trying to access things which dont exist anymore and getting bottle necked.

matt761

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
Make sure your drivers are still installed correctly. Try re-installing video card drivers. Also, make sure memory is still set to dual channel and didn't accidentally get set to single channel.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
not really a gamer but for me the biggest best upgrade i've done is replacing a hdd with a ssd. solid state drives have come down in price sooo much now that its very practical to buy one. you can even keep your hdd and add a ssd to run your operating system on and maybe load a few of your most played games onto it. 500 gb drives are going for around 70 bucks now. and i think you can get a 1 tb drive for somewhere around 130. you also have enough ram now that i like and others with more experience may say this is a bad idea not sure but i have a 2gb ram disk that i pipe my temp files to from the system and my browsers. i think this speeds things up a little and it stops the thousands of writes on my ssd while i browse the web.

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz
Did you keep your original Windows install or did you install from fresh ? If still on original install, then I would expect the results youve mentioned as Windows will be trying to access things which dont exist anymore and getting bottle necked.

Solution
Nov 24, 2018

how would I do that without losing all of my data in my hard drive?

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz
Back it up :)

Copy all your personal data such as documents/pictures etc to a USB drive.

Personally, the way I do it, is take out the original drive, put in a different one (preferably newer than the original), install Windows on the new one, then connect the old one as a slave (via a USB enclosure is fine) and copy data across. Then that way, you wont lose anything as the old drive will still be "complete".

Nov 24, 2018

is there a way i can completely wipe my hard drive without buying a new one?

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
and maintain all your data? you need to have a backup. so either a new hard drive or a very large thumb drive. a good thumb drive can cost some bucks where as a large new hard drive is dirt cheap. you can re install of windows on your current drive and it will make a folder called windows old that will have your user folders and all your files. I've kept data on disc doing this but still made a backup to another drive because I was still scared i may lose something or my files would become corrupt. I'd really rec. buying another drive and doing what xpd.co.nz said. if all goes well you can then format your old drive and keep it for auto backups which can really help out in the future.