Updated Realtek Audio Driver, now HDMI no longer appears in Realtek HD Audio Manager, but HDMI speakers play without Realtek?

7zyzz7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Ok my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L500, running Windows 7 Professional SP1.

Yesterday, I uninstalled Realtek Audio driver from device manager, then went to realtek and installed the latest driver. Up until I did this, my audio connections worked great. Heres my speaker setup: I am using a Sony Muteki HTM7 7.1 surround system as my speakers. Its AMP is connected via HDMI cable to my laptop's HDMI port. I also have an HDMI out from the amp running to a Samsung hd tv, so im using the tv as the monitor.

So, before, when it was connected, it would show up in Realtek Audio Manager as "HDMI Output", and I could configure it wonderfully there. But now, after uninstalling Realtek Audio driver and then getting the latest version, it does not appear to be going through Realtek. When I first connected the amp back up after getting the new driver, a little message with a blue icon poped up saying that if I wanted audio from the device connected via HDMI then I want need to use and extra optical(or some other port type) cable to get audio. Stupidly, I didnt snipscreenshot this message, as I didnt expect it to actually make a difference, and I thought it might appear again later. So I go to Realtek Audio Manager in the control panel, and now there is NO hdmi tab there at all. But, sound is still being played through my speaker system. I went to sound playback devices, and it showed my speaker system as "AMD High Definition Output/AMD High Definition Audio Device", and it has the laptop speakers as "Speakers/Realtek High Definition Audio". If I set the laptop Speakers as "Default device" then the sound plays from the laptop speakers, and not from the speaker system respectfully.
I have also noticed that now when I play music (Using foobar2000), it no plays the songs in surround. I suspect that this is because that before it went through Realtek Audio Manager, I had it configured to mix stereo sound to surround, and now that its no longer going through the realtek manager, it just plays in stereo, which is really annoying!!
Obviously I thought of rolling back the Realtek driver, so I could use the previous version I had. But in device manager, in the properties of Realtek audio, the "Rollback" option is grayed out. I suspect this is because I uninstalled the previous driver, before I got the new one.

Here are screen snips of my Realtek Audio Manager, and my playback device options:

208cgts.jpg

28k0wlx.jpg

I will not rest until this abomination has been fixed, I refuse to listen to inferior Stereo music.

UPDATE: The notification appeared again! My AMP turns itself off if no sound goes through it for 5 mins, so it did, then I turned it back on and the notification appeared! Here it is:

34pfj2q.jpg

Quite an arrogant little message f*cker. It appears, due to its taskbar symbol, to be from AMD/ATI. Which is strange, because my graphics card shouldnt be trying to manage my audio...

Solution
i have had an issue with something similar for quite some time. can you click on "speakers" and then set to default?

my issue was when i put a amd gpu in my machine instead of nvidia, i lost my analog audio. i had to get a usb sound card

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
i have had an issue with something similar for quite some time. can you click on "speakers" and then set to default?

my issue was when i put a amd gpu in my machine instead of nvidia, i lost my analog audio. i had to get a usb sound card

Solution

7zyzz7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Lol no, as I said earlier if I make the laptop speakers the default, then the audio just comes out of the laptop and not out of the muteki speakers.

I havent changed any hardware. I simply uninstalled my old realtek driver, and then got the new one.
ACTUALLY, I also updated the driver for the ATI radeon graphics card. But surely that wont have anything with the audio, right?

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
the ati graphics driver has an hdmi audio driver in it, and supposedly people have had problems with the driver changing audio settings. thats why i replied with the issue im having because it sounds similar to what you have going on and i would love if someone had a solution

7zyzz7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Bumping the thread, getting sick of not having realtek's sound controls. It was realtek that made my stereo music files play as surround, and that worked great considering foobar2000 doesnt have a proper surround conversion option, only does 4 channels, which only uses my two front l and r speakers and my 2 rear speakers. And my rear speakers are quite inferior to the drive of the surround l and r speakers. Realtek used all speakers, including my centre front. Anyone know any other good forums I should ask this on? Doesnt seem like I'm getting any answers here.

issloots

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Solution found:

Go to Realtek's download driver page

Installing version R2.75 from 2014/5/21 will sure enough cause the problem of the driver only controlling the speaker output and not the HDMI output. The HDMI audio device that came with AMD Catalyst would not allow me to passthrough DTS or Dolby Digital to my A/V Receiver, only crappy stereo sound.

The solution: Install ATI HDMI Audio Device version R2.70 from 2012/6/22 lower on the page. After installing and restarting my computer, the HDMI playback device is now called Realtek HDMI audio and it bitstreams surround sound DTS and Dolby Digital to my A/V Receiver.

Great Success!

I realize that the OP was in April so this post is more for people googling this issue.

Michael Irvin

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I am fighting with the same "problem" but with both an onboard Intel HDMI (Intel HD 4600) and nvidia HDMI (GTX 970) ... both do not have "speaker fill" or "DTS Connect" or "Dolby Digital Live" to upmix 2.0 sources to 7.1. I have seen some support forum posts on the Intel site and they said they do not do any processing of the audio. I guess they don't use it themselves. As I do not have AMD, I can not try your solution. My only other option is to switch the Windows channels being output to Stereo when I want to listen to MP3s (and let the receiver upmix it) or to configure the individual program *IF* it allows it. (MPC-HC works nicely, but VLC only seems to upscale 2.0 video containers, not MP3s)

Hopefully the video card manufacturers will learn they need to offer some basic "parity" features like "Speaker Fill" so we don't have to rely on every individual program or manually changing the windows settings based on what I am listening to. Come on Intel, AMD, nvidia ...

virgopunk

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Has anyone discovered a solution to the Realtek / Nvidia driver conflicts? I did the same as the OP; updated my Realtek HD audio and lost HMDI as a digital output.. Have to use the Intel audio for HDMI. I've not been able to find any clear guidance for a solution. I've disabled the Nvdia audio drivers and uninstall/reinstalled the Realtek HdD audio but still no joy. Has anyone had the same problem and resolved it? Is it a case of uninstalling the Nvidia and Realtek drivers and then making sure you install the Realtek ones first and then the Nvidia ones?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.