UPDATED: System won't boot after Windows 10 install; bad_system_config_info message

Mstagg

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
UPDATE: There could be a problem trying to download Windows 10 to my other laptop, since the OS on it is Windows Vista and I saw on the Microsoft website that only computers with Windows 7 or 8.1 are eligible for the free upgrade to 10.

I have a Dell Inspiron 14z - 5423 laptop that had Windows 7 on it. I successfully downloaded and installed Windows 10 a couple days ago and used my computer for a couple hours after upgrading, then shut it down. When I try to log on to my computer now, it's getting stuck in a reboot loop. Getting a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO message and have tried all the prompts for resetting, restarting, etc., but it continually fails to re-anything and let me log in. I just want to go back to Windows 7 but don't have the system disc anymore. I backed up my computer before the install onto a hard drive, but it doesn't work when I try to restore from that. Any advice for how to get out of the reboot loop and into Windows 10 to uninstall?!? Or uninstall WITHOUT being able to access the start menu?

Solution
Can you download a copy from Microsoft on another PC? Create a disc or USB drive and boot to that? If you run setup again it might give you the option to fix it.

Dvx67

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Can you download a copy from Microsoft on another PC? Create a disc or USB drive and boot to that? If you run setup again it might give you the option to fix it.

Solution

Mstagg

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I might be able to do that. My old laptop has Windows vista; would I be able to download another copy of Windows 10 directly to disk or USB instead of to that computer?

ECardon

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
I am also having the same problem. My update went fine a few days ago, but eveytime he computer went into sleep mode it won't wake back up. So, I updated the driver for my mouse/keyboard. It started asking me for my windows password, and now I can't even get into windows. Startup repair says it couldn't repair my PC. I tried system restore and it says there is no restore point. (Really? One wasn't made when I updated? That seems stupid.). I also tried the reset my PC option with keeping my files and it came back with a message saying "there was a. problem resetting your PC.". I'm not sure what else to try! It is telling me "bad-system-config-info" when it fails to startup. If anyone has figured this out I'd love to know. I also just updated to win 10 online, so I don't have a physical disk.

c3rb3ru5

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
As others have already suggested, you can download the media on another computer and use it to create a recovery disk. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool here to create a bootable Windows 10 USB key. Then boot to it on the machine in question to run the recovery. I would recommend using the previous build option to go back to your original Windows 7 or 8.1.

DKLounge

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Not a Fix
Yeah....same as everyone else mentioned. Tried every option in the advance section..except C prompt..and still get the same results...reboot.
WTF Microsoft?!!
Why pay for Beta Testers when you can utilize the public for free.
Dr. Katherine Albrecht has a very interesting interview on youtube that really adds to the fire of me getting rid of Windows 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLiozMpqV80

But back to the matter at hand, the suggested resolution to the issue, my concern is will the reinstalling of Win 10 wipe everything from drive? For me ..thats a NoGo.
(Once I find my disk) Is it possible to reinstall Windows 7 over top Windows 10?
Windows has claimed to put a fix out....but word on the street is it has done nothing.

So who ever has a confirmed real deal fix ..c'mon down!

James_140

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

ilassal

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Give this a try, it worked for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-GorXWkoc&feature=youtu.be
P.S. You should always have a way to boot up, at least to a command prompt.
Even an old Windows Install CD will get you to a command prompt,
There are some good Freeware util's out there too, But I am sure
I am not allowed to post them here ... Best of Luck ...

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Well i had this problem long ago.. somewhere in august , i just asked here if anyone solved the issue because i wont upgrade to windows 10 again before this issue is somewhat diagnosed.. so the story is this..

When i get to go to school, the download started, but when i came back its already installing, (i know it should have been asked me first which to keep or etc.., i know windows upgrades or installations brings you up with a prompt like that.. Now,
The problem here is that i upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10
Update seems fine and everything is going as planned, but as soon as the new Operating System Has been installed, the screen seems to be flickering (login wallpaper is still the same what i set on the previous O.S.),Now , when i try to log in. i cannot type my password it wont let me finish, , when i type my password after 1-2 secs. it resets and clears the field itself, but for some fast typing trick i managed to enter the password, now after entering the password, the loading screen appears, and says (Logging in) it lands me back to the Login screen again which i have to type my password again, (basically stuck on a loop).. i have a similar video to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOeR8QI4E4g

Tried 10 or more Restarts and after that, My laptop's LED Display wont turn on, just the power indicator is turned on and i can hear that CPU is running, but Laptop wont even boot its BIOS,..(wasn't able to fix this i lost all my personal files, luckily i was able to recover the files from the second partition, but my laptop wont boot and is now a pile of junk)

NOW, I am asking this because i was planning to upgrade from windows 7 ultimate 64 bit to windows 10 but i'm afraid to what happened last time i did it., Some Technicians told me that my laptop's BIOS wasn't compatible.. , now i check the list of compatible Motherboards for Windows 10 and my Current Motherboard was listed there , it was ASUS H81M-D . but still hesitating to upgrade.

What do you think the cause of the problem? im not going to upgrade to windows 10 until i identify the problem, i hope somone can help!

I hope somone bothers to bump this or atleast give a reply..

Doctorwho2016

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
I would strongly recommend NOT upgrading to Windows 10. I have and now won't start up, have tried that video you posted but only get the command post and won't recognise c:\>dir. Tried everything and still waiting for feedback from Microsoft. It's a disgrace the problems people are having with 10. Will have to bring pic to computer repair shop.

Doctorwho2016

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Can you explain how to boot from usb, I have downloaded media on to usb, just don't know how to install it. Thanks

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

yeah lol fuck them =_= i mean not literally but damn they aren't helping

ARGENTVS

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Just here to give an easy solution. I wasted 2 days trying all the solutions on the internet and this page for the problem plus a kingston 32gb pen drive that wont boot on my gigabyte motherboard.
Solution?, i had no W10 disk repair nor instalation disk or ISO. Gotta download from Microsoft page from their tool that doesnt saves the ISO in yor PC but directly instal it on a media device. I did had a W8 ISO in another PC, y simply burned on an 8 GB pen that did boot and used the diagnostic tool of W8, it repaired it.

So, short story, dont do anything said anywhere in the internet, just get a DVD or USB with W8/10 instalation and run the diagnostic tool. It doesn't matters if it is old, it just have to be the same architecture (32 or 64).