[updated] System works fine on integrated graphics, crashes if GPU is installed (tried 3 different GPUs)

patrick4

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I have a problem with a PC that used to work, but now it won't boot (or occasionally boots but freezes soon after) with a graphics card installed but it works fine with integrated graphics:

Power supply: 600W EV GA 600B
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
SSD: Sandisk SDSSDHII480G 2.5" SATA
HD: 1.5TB Seagate 5900RPM 3.5" SATA
DVD+-RW: Lite-ON iHAS124-04

I tried three different graphics cards, all of which have been tested and work in other PCs, but all of which fail in this one:

ASUS TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5
PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-M2DH
Geforce 210

I don't think the power supply is at issue because I tried the same power supply with the same GTX970 GPU on another motherboard and it worked fine there. 600W should be more than enough for this system, especially when the Geforce 210 was used!

I don't think it is a software problem either because I reinstalled the OS (Windows 8 in this case). Due to the lockups, I had to remove the graphics card in order for the install to complete. It failed again once I put the graphics card back in.

Would this likely be a motherboard issue, or perhaps the PCI Express controller in the CPU itself? I can't test this easily since I don't have any other LGA1155 motherboards or CPU available. Is there perhaps some sort of "please don't crash when a graphics card is installed" checkbox in the UEFI setup that I somehow overlooked?

Any ideas?

Solution
Looks like this one may be solved. Even though I didn't really expect to work, I tried upgrading the BIOS (technically, the UEFI now) and the PC seems to work fine now.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
You need to uninstall the integrated graphics driver before adding a discrete GPU.

- Boot with just the integrated graphics
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the display driver
- Shutdown PC and install the discrete GPU (move the display cable to the new GPU)
- Boot and install the display driver for the new GPU

patrick4

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
That didn't seem to be necessary before, but I went ahead and tried it. Even with the integrated graphics driver uninstalled, the PC still didn't work. It freezes before I can even log in so I don't have a chance to manually install a driver for the new GPU.

patrick4

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Looks like this one may be solved. Even though I didn't really expect to work, I tried upgrading the BIOS (technically, the UEFI now) and the PC seems to work fine now.

Solution