Question Updated the bios, now won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2019
Just built a new system today, made the apparent mistake of flashing my bios through ASUS EZ Updater. Now my PC won't boot because it doesn't recognize that the HDD is there, or the SSD I have connected as well. Did show up when it gave me the option to switch the system to RAID, but I didn't let it because it would've wiped them both. Any ideas?

May 23, 2019
Have you tried to reset the CMOS by unplugging the computer and removing the battery? Also check what mode the drives are in, it may have got changed to IDE from AHCI which you want. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
Ide isn't an option, only AHCI or RAID. I just did a reflash off of a USB. Getting a screen that seems like it wants me to swap them to RAID mode? But that will wipe them...which I have too much stuff on them to do...have not tried cmos but might have to do that next. Just annyong they put it under the graphics card so I have to pull that to get to it lol.

May 23, 2019
Update: I've tried pulling the CMOS battery and shorting the jumper point the way the book recommends to no avail, and apparently the ez flash 3 installer tool will not let you revert to an older bios version

fishburger

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Iam not shure but I have been strugglig with my new mb asus rog maximus xi extream the last week, 2 m2 disks did not show up after overclocking with AI to 5.2 ghz the cooling was ok but I wanted it to run at lower setting max 5.0ghz
I used F5 to load defauls,still no disks,but then i enabled CMS and the 2 disk showed up,my mb have the same chipset z 390,so if you have the CMS in you bios It might be worth a try,just my two cents.
under CMS you get 4 options you can choose to: boot from storge devices (where you have the windows instaled)

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
No it didn't. I wish it had. I've tried reflashing to an older version off of a USB but they don't allow it. I guess there is a workaround that utilizes cmd prompt but it involves having the desired patch file and the installer on the USB and inserting the disc that came with the mobo simultaneously, but I have no disc drive so I'm stuck there. I will look into the csm you mentioned though. Other thought I had was to unplug all but my boot drive and let it raid format that because all I'll lose on that one is just the OS which I can just reinstall. If that works I'll plug all of the other drives back in and see what happens

fishburger

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
good luck seems you have a plan,when ting like this happends its not fun,I did exactely what you plane,I took out one disk and let the one with vindowes stay ,my pc is watercooled and its a big job to get the disks out i had to empety gpu and cpu loop for water to get to the disks,alot of swearing and stress,but it works now.

May 23, 2019
If you reinstall the OS you will also have to reinstall all of your other software as well, no matter what drive/s it may live on. A clean install wipes the registry.
Yes and no, one of the drives is full of games that I can just do a "repair" on and they will work again, and in today's data cap world of ISPs, I can't afford to have to redownload all of those applications. Its a shame they're allowed to enforce limits.

May 23, 2019
good luck seems you have a plan,when ting like this happends its not fun,I did exactely what you plane,I took out one disk and let the one with vindowes stay ,my pc is watercooled and its a big job to get the disks out i had to empety gpu and cpu loop for water to get to the disks,alot of swearing and stress,but it works now.
Man and I was mildly griping about having to pull my gpu every time I tried pulling the CMOS battery lol, that sounds terrible. Glad you got er going! Hopefully what I'm going to try works and I can be done fooling with things and on to enjoying the new hardware. Will post the results of my attempt when I get home from work to try it.

fishburger

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
well last week when i worked with my new mb and cpu and could nor find the disks etc,I reinstalled windows 4 times from scratch,my win10 64 i bought in 2017 so it is version 1806 took about 3hr with update to 1809
and after I got my pc working I dont think any new reinstalls helped me solve the problem.

May 23, 2019
Got er working! Did a diskpart clean of the boot drive, then reinstalled windows on it off the USB, and it seems to be working now. I'm thinking the drive must have gotten corrupted somehow during the bios flash. When I did the initial flash it was through the desktop Asus ez installer. IF I ever update the bios again, I'll be sure to do it off a USB instead. Thanks again for all of the input guys!

May 23, 2019
well last week when i worked with my new mb and cpu and could nor find the disks etc,I reinstalled windows 4 times from scratch,my win10 64 i bought in 2017 so it is version 1806 took about 3hr with update to 1809
and after I got my pc working I dont think any new reinstalls helped me solve the problem.
Hmmm....I will definitely have to remember to make sure I have the latest windows version on the installer usb for next time...3 hours of updating...oof! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.