Question Updated Title: BSOD after upgrading Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Hi. Today I've replaced my ryzen 5 1600 cpu with a new ryzen 5 3600 cpu. I placed ryzen 5 1600's Wraith Spire cooler on 3600 for better cooling. But I've booted up my system and saw cpu heats up and down instantly between 40 and 60 degrees when running idle and also cpu fan runs slow and fast instantly. To make a test, I've ran 7-zip software and do a compressing using 10 cores of cpu and oddly temperature were stable at 57-58 degrees and cpu usage was around %84-88. When I ran a game temperature ups and downs instantly. I updated my bios to the lastest gigabyte f50d version, updated chipset drives, I've applied thermal paste correctly and placed cooler. Do you have any ideas?

My specs:

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming mobo
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
Gskill ripjaws 2x8 16 GB 2400 MHz ram
Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080 gpu
Corsair RM750 PSU

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Did you try using the old cooler ? Try that and reply.

Bro, did read my first post carefully? :) I'm already using my old ryzen 5 1600's Wraith Spire cooler. I've never used ryzen 5 3600's new Wraith Stealth cooler. I'm also thinking it could be a software issue, because my pc gave Win10's Blue screen 3 times and rebooted it self in ten seconds. I've removed AMD chipset drivers and noting changed.

Hi. Today I've replaced my ryzen 5 1600 cpu with a new ryzen 5 3600 cpu. I placed ryzen 5 1600's Wraith Spire cooler on 3600 for better cooling. But I've booted up my system and saw cpu heats up and down instantly between 40 and 60 degrees when running idle and also cpu fan runs slow and fast instantly. To make a test, I've ran 7-zip software and do a compressing using 10 cores of cpu and oddly temperature were stable at 57-58 degrees and cpu usage was around %84-88. When I ran a game temperature ups and downs instantly. I updated my bios to the lastest gigabyte f50d version, updated chipset drives, I've applied thermal paste correctly and placed cooler. Do you have any ideas?

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
Corsair RM750 PSU
As far as temps go, it's working as it should. To explain what's happening...

Ryzen 3000 uses a very aggressive boost algorithm that frequently boosts a single core to it's max boost clocks even when it appears to be 'idle' for light, bursty processing loads. So understand that Windows is never really idle, there are over 80 different processes with hundreds of software threads active on my computer. Most are idle, bu one of them pops up and does something at any time. So the processor responds by waking a core from sleep, raising the clock to max and getting it done as quick as possible and going back to deep sleep state. Then another pops up and it repeats on a different core this time.

There are also dozens of temp sensors all over the CPU dies, when one core boosts one sensor reads out a high temp for a few mS then ramps back down. The temp readout always reports the sensor with highest temp at that moment, so that's what you see. It's not really thermally significant as it's one tiny area and it's quick. So the thing to do is get HWinfo and look at the AVERAGE die temperature reading to get the best idea of true thermal state of the CPU. Ryzenmaster also has an average temp reading.

Last edited:

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
It's most prob PBO or oc.In that line.I have a r5 2600 whenever i oc,it ramps my cpu up with 10c and down to 30 wwhich is normal.But it would repeat this over and over again.I was told it's fine that amd cpu's do that but as i don't trust anyone i declocked my cpu to stock 😁

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
Corsair RM750 PSU
Go in your bios and set your fan amount of times it takes to turn down speed to maybe 0.4/0.3 seconds to prevent constant up and downs and adjust the curve as TheNerdyGlaceon said

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I got to ask but when you used your old cooler did you actually apply new thermal paste and cleaned off the old paste from it cause if you're using the old paste left over on the cooler that is not enough and could in time hurt your processor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen, not an intel. It's also 3rd release Ryzen that's tweaked above and beyond the passivity of the first release cpus. It's more aggressive, does more, and you are looking at temps as a whole.

Intels will lower all cores speeds and voltages at idle, but any processes and services in the background get split up amongst all the cores. So any 1 core is just slightly hotter than the rest, and that low load temp is what you see. It doesn't bounce much because it's only one service on one core, rotating.

Ryzen 3rd release is different. It puts All cores to sleep except the preferred core, which remains active. ALL services and processes get concentrated on that core, so instead on like Intel just one service starting, you'll have Ten services starting on one core, with all that load heat accumulated.

Your whole cpu is NOT bouncing 40°C to 60°C, it's just One core that's doing all the background work, the rest are disabled.

This is perfectly normal Ryzen 3rd release behavior, there's exactly nothing wrong with software, hardware or pc, it's all in your imagination as it's a new way of thinking when you are used to thinking in terms of Intel behavior, and that includes 1st release Ryzen which did not use the preferred core method, which is a new standard adopted by the EU as an energy response so is adopted by both Intel and Amd in order to be compliant.

There's nothing wrong, period.

If you want to stop fan ramping, adjust your fan curves or get a better cooler, or both. While Amd did an awesome job boosting abilities of the 'stock' coolers, the Stealth and Spire weren't exactly brilliant compared to the Prism which is somewhat equitable to a CM Hyper212.

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
- I changed gigabytes Smart Fan setting and swiched auto fan speed setting to voltage related and it's a little bit better. But I'll set up a custom fan curve to fix for fans going haywire. I heard it before that ryzen stock fans annoyingly changing speed but I was thinking it was like 1st gen ryzens.

- But other thing that bothers me that blue screen messages after getting ryzen 5 3600. "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and than we'll restart for you." There is also a QR code but I've forgot to take an image. But I'll get it next time. Do you have and ideas about this?

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Normally that'd be related to a bios issue, did you reset the bios/update revision? Are the motherboard drivers up to date?

Yes. Before changing cpu I've updated both bios and chipset software 2 days ago. I was suspected from those. So I've rolled back to previous chipset driver version and also removed Gigabyte App Center and Easy Tune softwares. Now I'm using my PC about half hour and I didn't encounter any crashes for now. I'll play some game and see what will happen.

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Most likely due to a version conflict with the Gigabyte software then. Unless you plan to software OC (ugh), then easy-tune is semi useless.

I'd also run ccleaner, registry tool, clear up any of the outmoded associations and orphans software invariably leaves behind. Say Yes to backup.

I was using easy tune for RAM OC. Because my Gskill rams were running with 2133 MHz and I needed to set them up to 2400 MHz. As you know ryzen cpu's loves high memory clock. I used bios xmp profile before to increase ram clocks but it never works.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just setting xmp should work, the 3rd release has no issues all the way upto 3600MHz , it's default speed is actually 2666MHz. 1st release Ryzens did have some issues, and it's possible even now with the latest version of agesa, but rare.

You'll have to experiment again, the new cpu has slightly different architecture to the old cpu, and ram compatibility has come a long way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since ryzen CPU have up to 50 sensors on them and the Avg temp is recorded from all 50 (its the highest at the time), its impossible to know the actual temp of the CPU as its ever changing. I stopped trying. Win 10 also has no idea how fast my CPU is so I operate on the theory if it hasn't exploded yet its okay.

if you keep getting bsod, let me know and I can look at the dumps.

Reactions: MiggyBroadfoot

Alone_Boy_

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Since ryzen CPU have up to 50 sensors on them and the Avg temp is recorded from all 50 (its the highest at the time), its impossible to know the actual temp of the CPU as its ever changing. I stopped trying. Win 10 also has no idea how fast my CPU is so I operate on the theory if it hasn't exploded yet its okay.

if you keep getting bsod, let me know and I can look at the dumps.

Yes, I've got another bsod about 15 minutes ago. It's says: "attempted execute of noexecute memory". Can I upload the dumps directly here or I have to use an upload site?