I had purchased an external USB HD so had to upgrade to W98 SE. Now though
my card reader "ZIO" is not working properly it is a "CF" card reader.. I
have been to the Gateway site and also to the Zio site but I guess I do not
understand the problem. I have tried their downloads with no luck.

The Zio lights up so it is getting pwer, it (the Zio) works on my laptop
with windows XP so the drive is OK. I have rebooted, I have reinstalled w98
and w98SE with no luck. There is no icon in the control box. As far as I
can see drivers are there but not sure what is needed in
C:\Windows\system32\drivers.

Anyone up to date on this who would care to comment. I am at the end of my
rope as I have done what my abilities allow me and don't know what else to
check or do. Maybe someone out there can direct me to or have had this
problem and fixed it.

Thanks

Lee

"Lee Bray" <l.bray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I had purchased an external USB HD so had to upgrade to W98 SE. Now
though
> my card reader "ZIO" is not working properly it is a "CF" card reader..
> have been to the Gateway site and also to the Zio site but I guess I do
not
> understand the problem. I have tried their downloads with no luck.
>
> The Zio lights up so it is getting pwer, it (the Zio) works on my laptop
> with windows XP so the drive is OK. I have rebooted, I have reinstalled
w98
> and w98SE with no luck. There is no icon in the control box. As far as I
> can see drivers are there but not sure what is needed in
> C:\Windows\system32\drivers.
>
> Anyone up to date on this who would care to comment. I am at the end of
my
> rope as I have done what my abilities allow me and don't know what else to
> check or do. Maybe someone out there can direct me to or have had this
> problem and fixed it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

I have a Western Digital External HD. It works fine with Windows XP and ME,
but I understand that it will not work with 98 and 98SE without the
necessary drivers. These drivers may be downloaded at Western's URL. You may
need drivers from your manufactor. In any case get with your manufactor for
help.

lee

Thanks Jack H for your reply!
Will go to the WD site for the drivers.

Lee

"Jack H" <jhard8186@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have a Western Digital External HD. It works fine with Windows XP and
ME,
> but I understand that it will not work with 98 and 98SE without the
> necessary drivers. These drivers may be downloaded at Western's URL. You
may
> need drivers from your manufactor. In any case get with your manufactor
for
> help.

Lee, I am not sure Western drivers will help, recommend you visit the
manufactor of your unit.

"Lee" <l.bray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Jack H for your reply!
> Will go to the WD site for the drivers.
>
> Lee
>
> "Jack H" <jhard8186@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Western Digital External HD. It works fine with Windows XP and
> ME,
> > but I understand that it will not work with 98 and 98SE without the
> > necessary drivers. These drivers may be downloaded at Western's URL. You
> may
> > need drivers from your manufactor. In any case get with your manufactor
> for
> > help.

lee

Hi Jack H

Hey really appreciated your comments and they did help me. I took down
couple of their offers which helped me immensely. I now have the USB HD
running
and am backing up files to it.

The only problem I am having now is I sent in for the $50 rebate offered
on CompUSA web page. Had all the required data, sent it to WDigital and now
have a card that WD sent to me saying, sorry but the serial number of your
device is not included in the sale. Needless to say I sent e-mails to both
companies and CompUSA says they are investigating it now. I never heard of
this before and told WD the same thing. I am not saying this is a scam by
WD but it sure makes a person think!

Nothing on the web page nor the rebate form mentions only by serial
number. So am waiting for their decision. Again thanks for your assistance
and so far the HD runs just great. Set it up with 4 partitions but it still
takes forever to run my Norton Systemworks on it.

Lee

"Jack H" <jhard8186@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Lee, I am not sure Western drivers will help, recommend you visit the
> manufactor of your unit.

WD and other manufacturers make specific lots (serial number sequences) for sale
on specific continents. It is possible that somebody somewhere somehow managed
to substitute a drive made for another continent (e.g. Asia) into the device you
bought.

I first ran into this when I bought a metro cart full of stuff (and the cart) at
one of the Tech Data bankruptcy auctions. The stuff included a box of drives of
varying capacities. I tested them all with WD diagnostics, ended up with some
working, some not. I put the serial numbers of the non-working drives into WD's
RMA system, was told that two or three did not have US serial numbers and were
not eligible for repair or replacement.

The industry has always had a large gray market in which parts move from one
continent to another to balance out surpluses or to simply make more money. It
would be a surprise to me to learn that CompUSA, a long-time name-brand
retailer, sold a gray market product. The mass market retailers are supposed to
be the ones you can trust to sell new product warranteed for use in this
country.

Just for fun, pretend that the drive is bad, go to WD's RMA web page and enter
the drive serial number. If the drive turns out to be from another continent,
you've been scammed by CompUSA or one of their employees. If so, contact the
BBB and the state attorney general's fraud department in your state. But first,
tell the CompUSA store manager you are going to do so. He/she should cough up a
quick $50 bill or equivalent in Kruegerands when threatened this way. None of
the majors want BBB and governmental fraud claims... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:55:07 GMT, "Lee" <l.bray@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi Jack H
>
> Hey really appreciated your comments and they did help me. I took down
>couple of their offers which helped me immensely. I now have the USB HD
>running
>and am backing up files to it.
>
> The only problem I am having now is I sent in for the $50 rebate offered
>on CompUSA web page. Had all the required data, sent it to WDigital and now
>have a card that WD sent to me saying, sorry but the serial number of your
>device is not included in the sale. Needless to say I sent e-mails to both
>companies and CompUSA says they are investigating it now. I never heard of
>this before and told WD the same thing. I am not saying this is a scam by
>WD but it sure makes a person think!
>
> Nothing on the web page nor the rebate form mentions only by serial
>number. So am waiting for their decision. Again thanks for your assistance
>and so far the HD runs just great. Set it up with 4 partitions but it still
>takes forever to run my Norton Systemworks on it.
>
>Lee
>

>"Jack H" <jhard8186@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Lee, I am not sure Western drivers will help, recommend you visit the
>> manufactor of your unit.

lee

Hi Ben

Just a quick note! I finally got through to the rebate center in Miami
and spoke to a real person finally. Told him that my rebate had been
refused because of a serial number that they said had not been included in
their promotion. Also told him that I had left two messages on the web site
regarding this matter with no responses. Also asked him directly to tell me
why this serial number was no good and was it a gray market drive. He asked
to put me on hold and in a few minutes was back saying the rebate was now
authorized and that it was just an error in numbers.

Thank you very much for your suggestion about "gray" market products.
He never did say anything other than it was an error in the numbers!
Whatever that meant. I appreciate your assistance and suggestions.

Lee

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)
> wrote in message
> Just for fun, pretend that the drive is bad, go to WD's RMA web page and
enter
> the drive serial number. If the drive turns out to be from another
continent,
> you've been scammed by CompUSA or one of their employees. If so, contact
the
> BBB and the state attorney general's fraud department in your state. But
first,
> tell the CompUSA store manager you are going to do so. He/she should
cough up a
> quick $50 bill or equivalent in Kruegerands when threatened this way.
None of
> the majors want BBB and governmental fraud claims... Ben Myers

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I suspect there was abolutely nothing wrong with your drive serial number or
anything else for that matter. I've had sveral rebates rejected for
absolutely bogus reasons. Miraculously they were approved when I outlasted
their phone maze and told them I had copies of all the materials submitted,
noted the date it was mailed and saw no reason for a rejection. I believe
these places just figure most people won't bother making copies and then
calling them on it. Another way to wear people out and add to their
profits. IMO this whole rebate area needs a good investigation. I have
more than a strong suspicion consumers are getting ripped off for a lot of
money.

> Hi Ben
>
> Just a quick note! I finally got through to the rebate center in
Miami
> and spoke to a real person finally. Told him that my rebate had been
> refused because of a serial number that they said had not been included in
> their promotion. Also told him that I had left two messages on the web
site
> regarding this matter with no responses. Also asked him directly to tell
me
> why this serial number was no good and was it a gray market drive. He
asked
> to put me on hold and in a few minutes was back saying the rebate was now
> authorized and that it was just an error in numbers.
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestion about "gray" market products.
> He never did say anything other than it was an error in the numbers!
> Whatever that meant. I appreciate your assistance and suggestions.
>
> Lee
>
> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)
> > wrote in message
> > Just for fun, pretend that the drive is bad, go to WD's RMA web page and
> enter
> > the drive serial number. If the drive turns out to be from another
> continent,
> > you've been scammed by CompUSA or one of their employees. If so,
contact
> the
> > BBB and the state attorney general's fraud department in your state.
But
> first,
> > tell the CompUSA store manager you are going to do so. He/she should
> cough up a
> > quick $50 bill or equivalent in Kruegerands when threatened this way.
> None of
> > the majors want BBB and governmental fraud claims... Ben Myers

TRENDING THREADS