Question Updated windows 10 directly after running a program that changed my system. Now my screen is black even though it's on.

Snowpuffs

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I ran a program to fix some duplicate paths or folders or something similar. I'd heard of the program being able to identify certain issues with one's desktop with enthusiasm so I ran a few scans and selected to fix what the program said was wrong. My computer was quite slow at this point so I thought this would be a reasonable way to help. I can't remember what it was called but it had a red toolbox as the icon.

Now at the same time windows 10 wanted to update, so I updated after running the scans. I simply shut down the computer and went on with my day.

Unfortunately the next time I turned it on everything looked fine until it was done booting up. The regular windows 10 loading dots appeared on a black screen for a minute, disappeared and left a black screen with nothing else visible but the mouse when you move it. It stays this way indefinitely.

I'm not sure if this is the update or the program I ran.

Has anyone come across this before?

I ran a program to fix some duplicate paths or folders or something similar. I'd heard of the program being able to identify certain issues with one's desktop with enthusiasm so I ran a few scans and selected to fix what the program said was wrong. My computer was quite slow at this point so I thought this would be a reasonable way to help. I can't remember what it was called but it had a red toolbox as the icon.

Now at the same time windows 10 wanted to update, so I updated after running the scans. I simply shut down the computer and went on with my day.

Unfortunately the next time I turned it on everything looked fine until it was done booting up. The regular windows 10 loading dots appeared on a black screen for a minute, disappeared and left a black screen with nothing else visible but the mouse when you move it. It stays this way indefinitely.

I'm not sure if this is the update or the program I ran.

Has anyone come across this before?
Yes, screwed up GPU driver is usually to blame, can you boot to Safe Mode ?