Updates installed without authorization

BorealMind

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi, i'm using Advanced System Care and doing computer maintenance about once a month. Always, explicitly always, i disable the Security update option. I left yesterday my computer to do the fix alone and shut down after those boxes unchecked and i found today myself with the computer updating itself on boot. How's that possible?

So it downloaded 7 Windows updates over which the computer worked twice to reboot so i guess it wasn't something light. Worse than that, it seems like i can no longer see the size of my installed updated in Windows 8.1. Is there any way to see those and was that part of the 'update package'? Thank you.

A.jpg
Kal3qmwWh-A.jpg

Solution
Unless you are willing to uninstall every update installed recently, there is no way I know of to get the size column back. You don't need to see the size of updates anyway if you have disabled them, so just forget about it.

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
The computer rebooted even though updates were disabled because the installed updates weren't updates. They were "updates" that carry out data mining. Uninstall the updates that were installed to see the size of your installed updates. Make sure to block them afterwards, otherwise they will reinstall.

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Windows never did disable viewing the size of updates, it's probably a bug caused by an update. Uninstall the updates one by one until the bug stops happening. The updates that installed without asking were data mining updates that collect your data and then sends it to microsoft. Microsoft then sells this data. To remove these updates; copy the text into notepad, select all files with a .bat extension and run it as administrator to remove the updates: https://gist.github.com/Jasjar42/ebabbcf5dff69afe8b468835f8fb8010 ASC has nothing to do with it, I just guessed that it disabled installing updates without permisiion and windows installed updates anyway.

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Unless you are willing to uninstall every update installed recently, there is no way I know of to get the size column back. You don't need to see the size of updates anyway if you have disabled them, so just forget about it.

Solution

BorealMind

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

Yeah, you're right.