[SOLVED] Updates paused and it updated anyway

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I've been trying to identify an issue that may be related to Windows Updates, so I paused the updates until 4-11-2021. To my surprise, I walked into my office and noticed that during the night, my PC must have updated anyway. It was on the start up screen ready for me to put in my password. I immediately went to windows updates and found it still on pause. I next started to view the different type of updates to see if in fact it had updated and sure enough there was a definition update for defender during the night. I was under the impression that if you have updates paused it doesn't update anything. Is that not the case? I hate that Microsoft can do whatever they will just because you happen to be running windows as your OS.
How do I really stop or pause any and all updates?

Solution
This is that last update and reason for it:
As part of the end of support for Adobe Flash, KB4577586 is now available as an optional update from Windows Update (WU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). Installing KB4577586 will remove Adobe Flash Player permanently from your Windows device. Once installed, you cannot uninstall KB4577586. For more details about Microsoft’s plans, see Update on Adobe Flash Player End of Support.

Lutfij

Titan
To my understanding, I don't fiddle around with latest updates, only because that early adopters tend to face the wrath of the bugs. Updates that I know of which are critical will update regardless of input. It could also be that each system might have a different behavior since not every two system will have the same specs and some might have minor corruptions with said OS.

Also, Definition Updates is for the antivirus built into the OS, not an update for the OS itself, last I recall.

To add, I also recall reading something about the OS removing any option to ward off updates.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I don't quite understand your first paragraph. Do you or do you not allow windows update on your system whenever it wants to update? Are you saying that because I have them paused, I'll be faced with bugs. If that is the case, how do you get around the fact that almost every time Windows does an update, it messes with the performance of my recordings? I'm just trying to get a handle on what is going on with my stuttering recordings.

I understand the definitions part, but still have a hard time with Microsoft updating whenever they will. It wreaks havoc with trying to diagnose issues because of an update.
To my understanding, I don't fiddle around with latest updates, only because that early adopters tend to face the wrath of the bugs. Updates that I know of which are critical will update regardless of input. It could also be that each system might have a different behavior since not every two system will have the same specs and some might have minor corruptions with said OS.

Also, Definition Updates is for the antivirus built into the OS, not an update for the OS itself, last I recall.

To add, I also recall reading something about the OS removing any option to ward off updates.

The description of the problem doesn't tell me that the computer actually rebooted. It just tells me the computer entered any other state that locked the OS (e.g., going to sleep). So did it actually reboot or no?

A quick search on the internet also tells me that updating the virus definitions for Windows Defender normally doesn't trigger a reboot. I want to say I've had this experience as well.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
The description of the problem doesn't tell me that the computer actually rebooted. It just tells me the computer entered any other state that locked the OS (e.g., going to sleep). So did it actually reboot or no?

A quick search on the internet also tells me that updating the virus definitions for Windows Defender normally doesn't trigger a reboot. I want to say I've had this experience as well.
I only assume that it rebooted for two reasons. One is that after I plugged in my password, my programs that I had opened were now closed and second is that I have my desktop set to 'Never' go to sleep. Now the display will turn off after 30 min. of inactivity, but the PC doesn't go to sleep.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this is my home office with no kids in the house so there is no reason to lock my pc down or anything like that.

theres an easy way to tell what update got installed,

control panel -> programs and features -> in the upper left click view installed updates

both of these updates installed on my computer last night, and my computer rebooted
Security update for microsoft windows (KB5000802)
Sercicing stack 10.0.19041.860

Security update for microsoft windows (KB5000803) installed on our work server last night

This is that last update and reason for it:
As part of the end of support for Adobe Flash, KB4577586 is now available as an optional update from Windows Update (WU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). Installing KB4577586 will remove Adobe Flash Player permanently from your Windows device. Once installed, you cannot uninstall KB4577586. For more details about Microsoft’s plans, see Update on Adobe Flash Player End of Support.

Solution