[SOLVED] Updating a Mobo BIOS/UEFI w/o a compatible CPU

justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello!
I am currently waiting for this MOBO to arrive
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-str...-New-Order-Confirmation-USA-_-N82E16813119140
And I'm pairing with a ryzen 5 3600.
I've read numerous reviews both on amazon and newegg saying that some B450 chipset MOBOs come incompatible with gen 3 ryzen CPU's.
It is possible to open the BIOS/UEFI and update it without a gen 2 ryzen cpu, or do I need to drop another 70$ just to update my BIOS??

Solution
Hello!
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-str...-New-Order-Confirmation-USA-_-N82E16813119140
I've read numerous reviews both on amazon and newegg saying that some B450 chipset MOBOs come incompatible with gen 3 ryzen CPU's.
It is possible to open the BIOS/UEFI and update it without a gen 2 ryzen cpu, or do I need to drop another 70$ just to update my BIOS??
All 400 series chipset MBs need a BIOS version compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen but only some can update BIOS without compatible CPU, this one can't, You should check...
Hello!
All 400 series chipset MBs need a BIOS version compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen but only some can update BIOS without compatible CPU, this one can't, You should check with seller because it may have a sticker stating compatibility or you can hire somebody to update BIOS for you.

Solution

justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
All 400 series chipset MBs need a BIOS version compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen but only some can update BIOS without compatible CPU, this one can't, You should check with seller because it may have a sticker stating compatibility or you can hire somebody to update BIOS for you.
How would I go about updating the BIOS if this board comes out of the box incompatible without dropping another 100$ on a technician or a new cpu

justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
100 bucks for BIOS flash ? Not likely, couple at most, it takes few minutes for somebody with EPROM writer/programmer which every service should have and are relatively inexpensive.
PC services in my area are expensive as hell because there are so few of them.
I know HOW to flash the BIOS but was hoping I'd be able to snag a 2nd gen ryzen cpu from a friend.
Hopefully it'll just come with a fairly recent BIOS, since according to ASUS's list of updates this specific board has supported gen 3's for a while

PC services in my area are expensive as hell because there are so few of them.
I know HOW to flash the BIOS but was hoping I'd be able to snag a 2nd gen ryzen cpu from a friend.
Hopefully it'll just come with a fairly recent BIOS, since according to ASUS's list of updates this specific board has supported gen 3's for a while
Yes, it's all ependent of manufacturing date, 3rd gen Ryzen i out for long time now,

TRENDING THREADS