Question Updating AMD 5700xt gpu driver lags computer

Jun 16, 2022
Currently I am using the gpu driver version 21.12.1 while using the record replay feature on the amd radeon software with no issues. However, recently I have been getting errors when playing games that my driver is out of date or I should update my drivers. When I update my drivers to version 22.5.1 it deletes the amd radeon software and downloads this new amd adrenaline software. My computer gets really laggy. On the desktop when I drag and click it pauses and then moves a second later. Also when I play games they are way laggier than before, audio and visual is very choppy and stutters. Any ideas on how to fix? For now I have reverted back to old gpu version driver but I get occasional game crashes from not up to date drivers. Could be an issue with using the record replay on the new adrenaline software but whats the point of updating if I can use that feature. Let me know if more information is needed.
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM GSkill 16 gb 3600Mhz
GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700XT Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB

Currently I am using the gpu driver version 21.12.1 while using the record replay feature on the amd radeon software with no issues. However, recently I have been getting errors when playing games that my driver is out of date or I should update my drivers. When I update my drivers to version 22.5.1 it deletes the amd radeon software and downloads this new amd adrenaline software. My computer gets really laggy. On the desktop when I drag and click it pauses and then moves a second later. Also when I play games they are way laggier than before, audio and visual is very choppy and stutters. Any ideas on how to fix? For now I have reverted back to old gpu version driver but I get occasional game crashes from not up to date drivers. Could be an issue with using the record replay on the new adrenaline software but whats the point of updating if I can use that feature. Let me know if more information is needed.
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM GSkill 16 gb 3600Mhz
GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700XT Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot if it was turned on by default, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (use the one that have agesa 1.2.0.3 any revision or 1.2.0.7), then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot. Look up in Control Panel Uninstall a Program, find AMD Chipset Software, if its already version 4.03.03, then you're good to go.

• Install the latest radeon 22.5.2 driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step in orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png