Updating ASUS P8Z68-V Pro BIOS

stax

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Just got a quick question regarding updating my BIOS and what order to go with.

Since my MB is stock I checked the ASUS site for the updates and there are quite a few versions for the BIOS and I wasn't sure if I should just download the latest and flash with that one or go though all of them one by one and flash my BIOS all the way up to the most current version?

Also how do i got about updating all the other updates that are available for my MB is there a away to download all off them at once and install them at once or do I have to go one by one?

Solution
If ASUS AI Suite isn't installed or some other BIOS invasive application then boot into the BIOS:

Press (F5) Load Optimized Defaults
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile 1
Press (10) Save & Exit = 'Yes'

Often PC's will double boot if there's an application the modifies the BIOS.

Another common fix is to add the following BIOS changes:

* Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration ; page 3-21 of the manual
(JMB) Display OptionRom in Post -> Disabled

* Boot / ; page 3-28 of the manual
Option ROM Messages -> Keep Current

I assume that you are only using the Intel SATA Ports and not any third-part SATA ports.

Now if you decide to update the BIOS read all of the release notes and procedures listed above the current BIOS version you...
Just download the latest bios and flash it. If you have changed any settings in bios, write that down before and let the update utility clear the cmos.
There is now package, that includes all drivers. Beside that, don't update a driver if you don't have driver related problems! Never touch a running system! Only exception is the graphics driver to get some more speed in certain games.

mysteryos

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Noidea has it right. i'll also add to that: Don't update your BIOS unless you have problems with it.

My typical response:

Most users - only update your BIOS if you're having a 'problem' that's not Windows related otherwise don't Flash your BIOS. Flashing a BIOS can take a perfectly running system and 'create' a problem, and worst if you mess-up you can 'brick' (ruin) your MOBO. BIOS recovery is extremely difficult.

In short, if you have no problems then my best advice is NOT to flash.

Examples 'when to flash':
1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability.

If you do need to update your BIOS then never do it through Windows. The safest on ASUS is through USB BIOS Flashback (where equipped), or the second good choice is ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash#t1976586

edit/ I also recommend give a newly posted BIOS 30 days. Example v3304 - v3402 (20 days or less) a short period of time suggests the prior BIOS version created more problems than solving them.

stax

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I should have mentioned that I have the double reboot issue, which I want to fix and read that the BIOS update should take care of that that is why I was wondering how to go about it.

stax

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I don't remember installing AI Suits and its not in the Uninstall programs in Control Panel. I just recently restored my system to factory settings and installed some of the basic stuff from the MB disc.

If ASUS AI Suite isn't installed or some other BIOS invasive application then boot into the BIOS:

Press (F5) Load Optimized Defaults
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile 1
Press (10) Save & Exit = 'Yes'

Often PC's will double boot if there's an application the modifies the BIOS.

Another common fix is to add the following BIOS changes:

* Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration ; page 3-21 of the manual
(JMB) Display OptionRom in Post -> Disabled

* Boot / ; page 3-28 of the manual
Option ROM Messages -> Keep Current

I assume that you are only using the Intel SATA Ports and not any third-part SATA ports.

Now if you decide to update the BIOS read all of the release notes and procedures listed above the current BIOS version you have to insure everything goes smoothly. In general update to the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology and other listed Intel drivers listed on ASUS's site - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download

Intel lists the very latest drivers here (use their Utility) - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

Solution

stax

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Changing the settings in the BIOS did the trick for me thanks a lot man.

Behrouz_o2

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Hi everybody My MB: Asus P8z68 v CPU: i3 2100
I have a little big problem with my HDMI. When I turn on my PC I have signal just before windows welcome, after that signal is gone but RGB signal exists. I have installed the latest drivers for everything. But I haven't updated my bios yet.

Can anyone help me?

Behrouz_o2

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

It's LG HDTV 24MN33. I changed the resolution but nothing changed. I tested HDMI cable also. It's OK. I tested the My LG with another case with graphic card and LG HDMI worked with all resolutions.

I don't know what to do?