[SOLVED] Updating bios before windows 10 installation?

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
So probably tomorrow i will finish my first build (i only need to install gpu). And i have R5 3600 and motherboard is MSI B450 tomahawk max, and i heard that is good to update bios before win 10 installation. I mean if the bios is already running in latest version, then ok, but what if bios version isnt latest, should i update it or not? And btw how i do all that? I guess that i plug in usb with win10 and usb with bios file in pc. And then i boot to BIOS and click M-Flash. and then bios gets updated, and when it reboots then i unplug the usb with bios file, and then i head into windows 10 installation. Am i right?

Solution
..Now before i boot to bios do i need to plug both usb's or? ...
No. Only use the stick for what you want to do...update BIOS or install Windows.

Some BIOS's call it different from Win 10 Enhanced, like MSI's. It's really UEFI mode, which means UEFI uses the UEFI boot partition (created during install if it sees a BIOS in UEFI mode) to boot Windows. Compatibility Mode uses the original boot block methods of old BIOS's, it's provided if you have to use certain legacy utilities.

The difference is all about security as boot blocks are easily infected by trojans with a "root kit" that will hold your hard drive hostage. The UEFI boot partition is not as it's not even accessible when you also enable Secure Boot.

Here's a blurb...
So probably tomorrow i will finish my first build (i only need to install gpu). And i have R5 3600 and motherboard is MSI B450 tomahawk max, and i heard that is good to update bios before win 10 installation. I mean if the bios is already running in latest version, then ok, but what if bios version isnt latest, should i update it or not? And btw how i do all that? I guess that i plug in usb with win10 and usb with bios file in pc. And then i boot to BIOS and click M-Flash. and then bios gets updated, and when it reboots then i unplug the usb with bios file, and then i head into windows 10 installation. Am i right?
It will boot into the Windows10 installer if you put the Win10 install USB in the socket, so put the BIOS file on a separate stick.

I prefer to update BIOS first, and I doubt it's running the latest version. Just plug the USB stick in and boot straight to BIOS then click m-flash. It restarts into M-Flash and will look in the USB stick for BIOS files. Navigate to the right folder (if needed) and select the right file, then let it update.

It's also OK to install the BIOS update later, it won't really matter. But whatever you do be sure to go into BIOS first and put it in Windows 10 Enhanced mode, so it's not in compatibility mode as you install Windows. After you get Windows installed go back into BIOS and put it in Secure Boot to get optimum security from trojan planted root kit exploits.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
It will boot into the Windows10 installer if you put the Win10 install USB in the socket, so put the BIOS file on a separate stick.

I prefer to update BIOS first, and I doubt it's running the latest version. Just plug the USB stick in and boot straight to BIOS then click m-flash. It restarts into M-Flash and will look in the USB stick for BIOS files. Navigate to the right folder (if needed) and select the right file, then let it update.

It's also OK to install the BIOS update later, it won't really matter. But whatever you do be sure to go into BIOS first and put it in Windows 10 Enhanced mode, so it's not in compatibility mode as you install Windows. After you get Windows installed go back into BIOS and put it in Secure Boot to get optimum security from trojan planted root kit exploits.
First of all, where did i wrote that i will put win 10 file and bios file on same stick, of course they are on separate sticks. Now before i boot to bios do i need to plug both usb's or? And yeah, wtf is win10 enhanced mode and secure boot i never heard for that, is that even important?

..Now before i boot to bios do i need to plug both usb's or? ...
No. Only use the stick for what you want to do...update BIOS or install Windows.

Some BIOS's call it different from Win 10 Enhanced, like MSI's. It's really UEFI mode, which means UEFI uses the UEFI boot partition (created during install if it sees a BIOS in UEFI mode) to boot Windows. Compatibility Mode uses the original boot block methods of old BIOS's, it's provided if you have to use certain legacy utilities.

The difference is all about security as boot blocks are easily infected by trojans with a "root kit" that will hold your hard drive hostage. The UEFI boot partition is not as it's not even accessible when you also enable Secure Boot.

Here's a blurb from MS on the topic.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS