[SOLVED] Updating BIOS on a new motherboard.

Jul 7, 2020
So I am planning to build my first desktop and I'm looking at an Asrock B450M Pro4 motherboard and a Ryzen 3 3300x CPU. On pcpartpicker it says that some B450M motherboards require a BIOS update to be compatible with a Matisse chip, and it may require a compatible CPU. Then I checked Asrock's support page for the motherboard and to update I will have to install AMD All in one with vga driver before updating bios.

So my questions are:
  1. Will I be able to flash update the bios without an already compatible CPU?
  2. Will this be doable on a fresh first build as I wouldn't be able to install the AMD drivers?

Solution
  2. Will this be doable on a fresh first build as I wouldn't be able to install the AMD drivers?
1 - Nope.
2. First you update BIOS, then you install windows and only then install drivers. You can't install drivers, if no OS has been installed.

Choose a different board
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX - will support Ryzen 3 3300x out of the box.
1 - Nope.
2. First you update BIOS, then you install windows and only then install drivers. You can't install drivers, if no OS has been installed.

Choose a different board
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX - will support Ryzen 3 3300x out of the box.

Solution
So I am planning to build my first desktop and I'm looking at an Asrock B450M Pro4 motherboard and a Ryzen 3 3300x CPU. On pcpartpicker it says that some B450M motherboards require a BIOS update to be compatible with a Matisse chip, and it may require a compatible CPU. Then I checked Asrock's support page for the motherboard and to update I will have to install AMD All in one with vga driver before updating bios.

So my questions are:
If you can, ask the seller or retailer to update the BIOS version for you.