Updating BIOS to use bigger HDs?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=28&threadid=320440

I have an older computer that uses a Soyo SY-V6BE+ motherboard, and it
would recognize my new WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB HD. So I check my AWARD
BIOS (1999)manufacturer, and it turns out that I need to update my
BIOS to recognize a bigger HD. When I inquired whether or not it would
cost anything, I was told I would be charge $69.95 to update the BIOS.
That's more than I bought the computer for!

So the question is, besides asking AWARD, is there a site that will
tell me how big of a HD I can use to be recognized by my current BIOS?

--

I have a Soyo Pentium II motherboard, and Soyo refused to release a
BIOS upgrade for hard drives larger than 33GB, claiming that the BIOS

Patching for 48-bit LBA support is apparently much, much more
difficult.

==
"Dumb is just not knowing. Ditsy is having the courage to ask." -- Jessica Simpson

Phisherman

Get a Promise hard drive controller, should be less than $30. It has
its own BIOS, and faster than your MoBo HD controller.

"Ablang" <HilaryDuff07072004@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=28&threadid=320440
>
> I have an older computer that uses a Soyo SY-V6BE+ motherboard, and it
> would recognize my new WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB HD. So I check my AWARD
> BIOS (1999)manufacturer, and it turns out that I need to update my
> BIOS to recognize a bigger HD. When I inquired whether or not it would
> cost anything, I was told I would be charge $69.95 to update the BIOS.
> That's more than I bought the computer for!

WHO the hell told you it'd be $70? That's insane. Flash it yourself. Go to
soyo's webpage and download the bios and flash util.