[SOLVED] Updating BIOS with current CPU to support new CPU

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
I'm planning to build a home pc. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3qqdMc I don't plan on overclocking the Ryzen 3 3200G so I'm getting an A320 motherboard. However, I can't update the BIOS without a CPU which is necessary since it's a newer CPU.
I was wondering about taking out a Ryzen 5 1400 from my other PC, putting it in the new mobo, updating the BIOS and then putting the R3 3200G in the new updated mobo.
Would it be safe if I left the CPU without the cooler while updating the BIOS? I've never done this before so I don't know what the easiest procedure would be. I guess the only additional expense is buying thermal paste to reinstall the R5 1400. I've heard about those AMD boot kits but I think it would take ages for it to come to Slovakia (if it even ships here). Is there a better way of doing this that I'm missing?

Feb 28, 2020
You should be okay using the old BIOS to install the new one on the new CPU. The motherboard is smart enough to tell the difference and either update itself before startup or load a compatibility mode where the new CPU will be working at least well enough to update the BIOS. Otherwise how would anyone switch CPU's?

You should be okay using the old BIOS to install the new one on the new CPU. The motherboard is smart enough to tell the difference and either update itself before startup or load a compatibility mode where the new CPU will be working at least well enough to update the BIOS. Otherwise how would anyone switch CPU's?
How ? How is BIOS going to know that new CPU is in there if it doesn't know that particular CPU exists ?