Updating Crash Free bios safe?

Miksu11

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Hi, I got this mobo a months ago and it says that it's completely safe to update bios. So if there's powerloss or the update crashes, it is safe to update still? I need to patch the bios against meltdown and spectre.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270F-GAMING/

So I don't need to get a UPS.

Solution
You should update to bios version 1203 to fix the spectre problem. (Can only be fixed by an BIOS update.)
Meltdown is fixed by keeping your OS up to date.

The part about powerloss etc is always the risk when it comes to updating the bios.
If you live in a contry / area where powerloss is "normal" I would get an UPS to be on the safe side. (But that is me.)
You should update to bios version 1203 to fix the spectre problem. (Can only be fixed by an BIOS update.)
Meltdown is fixed by keeping your OS up to date.

The part about powerloss etc is always the risk when it comes to updating the bios.
If you live in a contry / area where powerloss is "normal" I would get an UPS to be on the safe side. (But that is me.)

Solution

Miksu11

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
But if the powerloss happens suddenly (even it is unlikely), does that board have safeguards against it? That was the main question. It advertises that you can recover it even if it happens

You are correct. Seems like it gets more and more normal to use the "CrashFree" or "FlashBack" instead of dual bios.
I stand corrected.

Miksu11

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
So updating bios without UPS is pretty safe?(if it can't recover, its covered by warranty?)

Even if there wasn't power loss, what if something goes wrong during the update?

Sorry for alot of questions, never have flashed bios, only on my laptop :p