Question updating electronics

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
In the last two months, i have been trying to update all my old electronics, appliances and related stuff.

I replaced three of my fifteen year old surge protectors with brand new ones.
I replaced four of my fifteen year old hdmi cables.
I updated my ten year old network switch from the netgear gs105e to a brand new netgear 305.
I updated my twenty year old network patch cables from cat5 to cat6.

I replaced my fifth generation ipod touch 64gb with a sixth generation 128gb.
I replaced my twenty year old blender with a new one.

Can anyone think of other things i should be upgrading?
i wont be able to upgrade from ps4 pro for a long while it seems.
i was considering maybe updating my tv from a 2016 model samsung to a newer version and maybe a bit bigger at some point.
i was considering maybe getting a new microwave at some point as mine is about twenty years old.

Last edited:

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
I replace all my surge protectors every 2-3 years, but only because the area I live in has large & frequent power spikes....and yes I have a whole-house back-up generator and several UPS's...

With the exception of the TV, hdmi cables & the surge protectors, you could have kept everything else as long as they were still working and did what you wanted them to....

With new TV's come the need for new HDMI cables that support ARC, hdmi 2 or 2.1, and HDR 10+ and/or other hi-resolution content protections...especially if you stream very much of your entertainment from the major providers like Netflix, Hulu etc....

Now major appliances OTOH, if more than 5-7 years old, should be replaced regularly, if no other reason but to keep up with the newer energy efficiency standards. This alone has lowered my electric bill by ~$25/month over the past 5 years, even with multiple additional appliances, tv's etc

I also switched to all LED lighting throughout the house, garage, & shed years ago, which I believe has helped some as well.

Reactions: Deepwaterlife48
Agreed unless you have money to burn. One thing we did a few years back was swap all the bulbs for the newer energy efficient bulbs. My wife likes soft white so it’s nice they have that color so they look more like traditional bulbs. With our little house I am almost hesitant to want to move because even with energy prices going up my electricity bill is typically 200 dollars or less.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Not to mention there's a very good chance that your new blender won't last nearly as long as twenty years.

...And I'd take a classic rotating platter microwave with mechanical or simple electronic timer over a modern not-so-smart one with fiddly buttons and the most basic function hidden too deep in menu anyday, and that's from personal experience.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
Not to mention there's a very good chance that your new blender won't last nearly as long as twenty years.

...And I'd take a classic rotating platter microwave with mechanical or simple electronic timer over a modern not-so-smart one with fiddly buttons and the most basic function hidden too deep in menu anyday, and that's from personal experience.

shouldnt new electronics last a long time?

USAFRet

Titan
Newer appliances do not last as long.

In the interest of price, they are often made from thinner or otherwise slightly inferior materials.
They work just fine, but may not last as long.

Example:
Cleaning out my parents house after they passed.
Washing machine and dryer were at least 35 years old. Still working great.
Unlikely you'd get that lifespan out of something you buy today.

My house, buying a new HVAC system.
Long conversation with the installer...the current models generally use thinner copper tubing.
As such, will not last as long.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Was there a need for this other than burning money for the sake of consoomerism? If you had 15 yr old HDMI cables it means you took care of them, same for ethernet and the router. Unless you needed cables or hardware to support a faster interface, or something was badly damaged, there was no need.

My mp3 player has a massive internal memory of 256 MB, and can be expanded up to 1GB, wow. Still works though, and since it uses AAA batteries there's nothing to worry about when it comes to the battery dying, I bought a pair of rechargeable AAAs and they last for months, the fact that the screen is monochrome and has no backlight is probably helping a lot though.

I mostly agree with hotaru.hino here
I would argue you should use appliances until they break and you can't find someone to repair them. There's no real reason to get a new one for the sake of getting a new one unless there's a significant enough opportunity cost.
but if it breaks, and I can fix it, then I fix it. Cheaper than buying a new one, and for some things you can't even buy a new one anymore since production ceased decades ago, my washing machine is an example, the only moving parts are the timer and the motor, meaning if something breaks it'll be one of these two, compare it to a modern washing machine and the two possible failure points become 200, bad luck.

The opposite, planned obsolesence. Consumer electronics in particular are manufactured for the user to replace them within the next 5 years after manufacturing date, they either fail or become obsolete by software malfunctions and/or lack of support from the company, anything that's labeled smart is an example of this.
Then you've got overcomplicated devices that make no sense, like fridges or dishwashers that connect to the internet, inverter air conditioners, smart light bulbs, printers... and the list goes on.

I have a friend that repairs electronics for a living, says most TVs he's repairing are less than 4 years old, the first thing to fail is the power supply but sometimes the panels are worn out from staying on for long periods of time, everything constantly overheats because of the lack of space and cooling inside, they're designed to fail, as, that's their purpose, watching TV is secondary. Meanwhile I was able to resurrect a 1958 RCA set just by doing a recap and replacing a few burnt resistors and a fuse, though of course the design is far more simple if you think about it, most components are big so you can replace them without the need for super high-end tools, the circuitry is easy to understand without a service manual, and if you mess up the worst that could happen is a fuse blowing, unless you royally mess up that is, but I don't, so everything works. The best part: a 64 year old thing is compatible with a modern digital STB out of the box, I only had to add a tiny adapter to convert the 300 ohm connector (thin pin) into 75 ohm (thick pin) because I'm using a coax cable to make the connection between both.
Modern TVs are like "you didn't update my software you can't watch anything lulz", so much bs.

Reactions: JWNoctis

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Was there a need for this other than burning money for the sake of consoomerism? If you had 15 yr old HDMI cables it means you took care of them, same for ethernet and the router. Unless you needed cables or hardware to support a faster interface, or something was badly damaged, there was no need.

My mp3 player has a massive internal memory of 256 MB, and can be expanded up to 1GB, wow. Still works though, and since it uses AAA batteries there's nothing to worry about when it comes to the battery dying, I bought a pair of rechargeable AAAs and they last for months, the fact that the screen is monochrome and has no backlight is probably helping a lot though.

I mostly agree with hotaru.hino here

but if it breaks, and I can fix it, then I fix it. Cheaper than buying a new one, and for some things you can't even buy a new one anymore since production ceased decades ago, my washing machine is an example, the only moving parts are the timer and the motor, meaning if something breaks it'll be one of these two, compare it to a modern washing machine and the two possible failure points become 200, bad luck.

The opposite, planned obsolesence. Consumer electronics in particular are manufactured for the user to replace them within the next 5 years after manufacturing date, they either fail or become obsolete by software malfunctions and/or lack of support from the company, anything that's labeled smart is an example of this.
Then you've got overcomplicated devices that make no sense, like fridges or dishwashers that connect to the internet, inverter air conditioners, smart light bulbs, printers... and the list goes on.

I have a friend that repairs electronics for a living, says most TVs he's repairing are less than 4 years old, the first thing to fail is the power supply but sometimes the panels are worn out from staying on for long periods of time, everything constantly overheats because of the lack of space and cooling inside, they're designed to fail, as, that's their purpose, watching TV is secondary. Meanwhile I was able to resurrect a 1958 RCA set just by doing a recap and replacing a few burnt resistors and a fuse, though of course the design is far more simple if you think about it, most components are big so you can replace them without the need for super high-end tools, the circuitry is easy to understand without a service manual, and if you mess up the worst that could happen is a fuse blowing, unless you royally mess up that is, but I don't, so everything works. The best part: a 64 year old thing is compatible with a modern digital STB out of the box, I only had to add a tiny adapter to convert the 300 ohm connector (thin pin) into 75 ohm (thick pin) because I'm using a coax cable to make the connection between both.
Modern TVs are like "you didn't update my software you can't watch anything lulz", so much bs.

I must say that MP3 players with expandable memory is pretty uncommon, and lasting for months on a pair of AAA rechargeables is also really incredible. Mine hardly lasts for much more than a day or two of listening in total on 1x fresh AA alkaline. It hisses and pops a lot more than it used to, quite like a tape recorder, too - some caps must've gone bad in the last 20 years, or maybe they just don't play so well with high-sensitivity earbuds, which are more common nowadays.

I seem to remember certain very bulky line-voltage capacitors or the belt breaking down a lot more than either the timer or the motor in older washing machines, at least in types common around when I was back then. But yes, there were a lot less to go wrong, and what did go wrong was most often simple to repair.

Most 'smart' devices as you said are impractical at best, botnet-in-waiting at worst. Didn't help they'd both contributed to and been impacted by the silicon shortage, too.

Good thing repairability is getting some attention of late at last.

Last edited:

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
alright so:

i replaced my surge protectors because they were 15 years old and dirty and with me using much more expensive equipment now, i wanted them protected. i was told replacing them was a good idea. The new ones are by a reliable name brand vs some random cheap ones i got in 2007 and they have a warranty on them.

I replaced four of my fifteen year old hdmi cables because i suspected that the newer ones would be more stable and cleaner and allow better picture quality vs the old ones. they were also a bit longer and give me more flexibility in device placement. i have seen some improvements. they are also a known reliable brand vs random ones ive acquired over the years and will have a warranty.

I updated my ten year old network switch from the netgear gs105e to a brand new netgear 308 because i wanted something more able to handle the needs i had and give me a few extra ports in case i get more devices in the future. i did not need a managed switch as i just use it for plug and play with devices. i was also told by this forum that i had been snowed when i had originally bought the previous one into buying one with features i didnt need. i actually do think my internet has been more stable since switching. it is a reliable one with a warranty if there is an issue.

I updated my twenty year old network patch cables from cat5 to cat6 because of cable length, transfer speeds, color and reliability. the ones i had were various brands, various lengths. now i absolutely know exactly what i have and the tolerances. they also have a warranty.

I replaced my fifth generation ipod touch 64gb with a sixth generation 128gb. (was trying to get a 7th generation) because the old one was slowing down and it had been limited on its security features, (not that i used it for anything but a music player) and the newer one is much more snappy and responsive and gives me the ability to load a lot more audio books and music. no warranty but at least i know it will be more responsive and safe than the old one.

I replaced my twenty year old blender with a new one. the blades were dull, the coloring had faded significantly over time and the cup was scored after decades of us. the new one is a reliable brand and has a warranty.

i had been considering upgrading my gopro from the 8 to 11, but i hardly use the one i have anyways. seems like a waste.

i wont be able to upgrade from ps4 pro for a long while it seems, but i dont know of any games that are ps5 specific that i cant get on steam so that seems like a waste of money.

i was considering maybe updating my tv from a 2016 model samsung to a newer version and maybe a bit bigger at some point and selling the old one. i figure the new one will have a warranty, maybe a bit bigger, maybe better response and color and abilities? i was looking at maybe the 2021 60" tv's.

i was considering maybe getting a new microwave at some point as mine is about twenty years old. It's a GE but the door has begun to show rust, the turntable and platter dont seem to work as well and there are times that i swear i hear buzzing noises come from it so i believe it's dying.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can upgrade an ipod's storage with the right custom board. I had the 160 GB iPod Classic which I upgraded to a 512 GB SSD when the original drive died. The hardest part of that task was opening the damn thing; I cut my thumb with the spudger and there's still a little dried blood on the iPod.

Unfortunately, didn't get a ton of use after that. Most of my listening is at home (where I have a better system) or in the car. The Subaru I got in 2018 didn't get along with the Classic iPods so I started using flash drives in the car, and on my current Mazda, I've moved to streaming music directly from my server at home using Plexamp on Android Auto.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I must say that MP3 players with expandable memory is pretty uncommon, and lasting for months on a pair of AAA rechargeables is also really incredible. Mine hardly lasts for much more than a day or two of listening in total on 1x fresh AA alkaline. It hisses and pops a lot more than it used to, quite like a tape recorder, too - some caps must've gone bad in the last 20 years, or maybe they just don't play so well with high-sensitivity earbuds, which are more common nowadays.

I seem to remember certain very bulky line-voltage capacitors or the belt breaking down a lot more than either the timer or the motor in older washing machines, at least in types common around when I was back then. But yes, there were a lot less to go wrong, and what did go wrong was most often simple to repair.

Most 'smart' devices as you said are impractical at best, botnet-in-waiting at worst. Didn't help they'd both contributed to and been impacted by the silicon shortage, too.

Good thing repairability is getting some attention of late at last.
Not like I'm using it all the time though, that's why batteries last for so long lol also 800 mAh per battery, quite a lot for an old device. It's one of the first iPod clones but the difference is that you can remove the back cover and insert the batteries and an SD memory card, guess it had an USB cable back in the day but now I have to remove the memory and put it into a PC reader in order to load songs.

I replaced four of my fifteen year old hdmi cables because i suspected that the newer ones would be more stable and cleaner and allow better picture quality vs the old ones.

It's a digital signal, not analogue. The quality is always the same, being digital there can only be two states to it, 1 or 0, it either works or it doesn't, that's all. If this was for an older device like a tube TV then sure a new cable or new connectors might improve quality by reducing interference, but that's a whole different beast, not digital.

The fact that things are made by "a reliable brand" (is there even such thing?) is kind of irrelevant, in any case you're simply paying more for that brand's logo vs others, when it comes to interface cables there's usually no difference, if we were talking mains cables there might because some manufacturers often cheap out on the wiring size and use alloys or aluminum instead of copper, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
It's a digital signal, not analogue. The quality is always the same, being digital there can only be two states to it, 1 or 0, it either works or it doesn't, that's all. If this was for an older device like a tube TV then sure a new cable or new connectors might improve quality by reducing interference, but that's a whole different beast, not digital.
There was a guy here not too long ago, who swore that there is an audible difference between audio files stored on an HDD vs the same files on an SSD.
SSD being "better".

Oh yes, those people exist.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
The fact that things are made by "a reliable brand" (is there even such thing?) is kind of irrelevant, in any case you're simply paying more for that brand's logo vs others, when it comes to interface cables there's usually no difference, if we were talking mains cables there might because some manufacturers often cheap out on the wiring size and use alloys or aluminum instead of copper, etc.

i hear what you're saying and i mean i could be wrong about the quality being better. i will admit that. the cost wasnt much, but the knowledge i know exactly what brands made them, what version they were, how old they are, how long they are, if they have a warranty, played a part in my decision making. even if you are right and the picture quality hasnt actually changed, i've got more options and im better protected versus having decades old cables with antiquated tech.

hypothetically my old hdmi cables could have been 1.0-1.3 from an unkown brand and my current ones are hdmi 2.1. from cable matters who seems to be reputable and i used recently to replace all my old cat5 patch cables to cat6.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
There was a guy here not too long ago, who swore that there is an audible difference between audio files stored on an HDD vs the same files on an SSD.
SSD being "better".

Oh yes, those people exist.

That guy shaves CDs and then demagnetises them, for sure.

i hear what you're saying and i mean i could be wrong about the quality being better. i will admit that. the cost wasnt much, but the knowledge i know exactly what brands made them, what version they were, how old they are, how long they are, if they have a warranty, played a part in my decision making. even if you are right and the picture quality hasnt actually changed, i've got more options and im better protected versus having decades old cables with antiquated tech.

hypothetically my old hdmi cables could have been 1.0-1.3 from an unkown brand and my current ones are hdmi 2.1. from cable matters who seems to be reputable and i used recently to replace all my old cat5 patch cables to cat6.

I mean in the end it's whatever floats your boat, it's not like we're at a company meeting and you're the manager who wants to upgrade everything because it "looks old" and burn some budget while I'm the IT who thinks everything works just fine but deep inside I think of the nightmare that's upgrading things in a corporate environment. (You either stay overnight and pray everything works or spend a week or more doing it part by part to avoid downtime and angry blonde office ladies)

In my book if it's not broken and there's no need to support higher bitrates or network throughtput there's no need to replace it.

USAFRet

Titan
I mean in the end it's whatever floats your boat, it's not like we're at a company meeting and you're the manager who wants to upgrade everything because it "looks old" and burn some budget while I'm the IT who thinks everything works just fine but deep inside I think of the nightmare that's upgrading things in a corporate environment. (You either stay overnight and pray everything works or spend a week or more doing it part by part to avoid downtime and angry blonde office ladies)

In my book if it's not broken and there's no need to support higher bitrates or network throughtput there's no need to replace it.
Conversely, there's the IT team telling the boss:
"Dude, we're juggling 12 balls trying to keep 8 of them in the air at all times.
If anyone sneezes wrong, they fall.
We NEED to ugrade."

'Naaaa....from where we sit in the boardroom, my email opened OK, so all is working. STFU. and keep juggling'