Updating firmware on Agility 3

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I went to the OCZ website and looked for firmware update but couldn't find any, but I'm kind of confused about the purpose. I heard they completely delete all data on the drive. Are firmware updates really necessary if I've never had a problem with my SSD? Would there be any performance gains? I really don't want to do a fresh Windows reinstall, but I will if necessary.

I have an agility 3 240gb drive on sata III port, and I have noticed a lil slow down since I bought it five months ago. I've never had a firmware update, and never had a problem with my drive (I've had plenty with my mobo though).

The latest firmware update for OCZ Octane drives will delete all data on the drive, but that is an exception.
99.9% of firmware updates do not delete the data on the drives.

Updating the firmware on your Agility 3 will not delete the data on your drive.

Most firmware updates are to fix reliability/compatibilty problems, not for performance gains.

If you are not having any problems with your drive then there's no need to update the firmware.

All SSDs slow down slightly once they are "settled in", it's normal.

FYI, here's the link to the firmware update page for your drive: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Vertex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_Solid_3,_RevoDrive_3,_RevoDrive_3_X2_and_Synapse_/

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for the response. That link was exactly the thang I was looking for.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Not to doubt what Dereck47 said he obviously has more knowledge than I have, but the website mentioned may result in loss of data. Did this happen to you?

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

I thought that was my mobo's fault. I brought the drive over from a previous build and never had any problems. With my new mobo and cpu, guaranteed almost everyday the drive drops off. So the new firmware would fix that?

Use the Linux bootable tool method. You download an .iso file from OCZ's website and burn it to a CD or USB thumb drive.
You boot into Linux with the CD that you burned and run the update process.

You don't have to know anything about Linux. When you are in the O/S all you have to do is double-click an icon on the desktop that says "Update Firmware".

Here's the link for instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?89670-Firmware-update-Tools-for-OCZ-Vertex2-3-Agility2-3-Solid3-Revo-and-Ibis-SSD-s

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

Of course, if you have any issues related to the use of the liveusb or want the learn more about Linux, don't hesitate to stop by the Linux/BSD section of the forums.