hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I am trying to update the firmware for my OCZ Vertex 4 before installing windows. I am using the "Linux Based Tool" from the ocz website, however when it boots from my usb stick the main screen never shows up. As its booting it says "failed to enable MSI X" "no caching mode page present" (I don't know if those matter at all) and then it goes to a black screen and says "sending discover" but nothing ever happens after that. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this or another way to update my firmware? Thanks.

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
OK, I hooked my ssd up to my other computer but in the bios it doesn't see the drive. If I press enter on the sata port the drive is plugged into it shows the capacity of the drive like its there and on the boot priority menu it sees the drive and says OCZ Vertex 4, however on the actual list of available drives in my bios It says "none". It is an older MB but its not really old. It supports sata. Any idea what options I need to set to make it show up?

P. S. The main drive that has windows on it is a 500gb hdd

The chipset to use the OCZ Toolboz has to be Intel based, and X58 or newer, regardeless if is not an "old" model.

I never could do a firmware update thru a NVidia chipset (when I contact OCZ, they said this mobo chipset was un-supported), and don't know if AMD chipset are the same.

Windows does not have to see the drive for Toolbox to see it. Windows won't see a drive that is not formatted (a whole 'nother Oprah).

Sounds like a pain! Been down that road: How do you update the firmware when its the boot drive, and have no other options?

There is no mention that I could find of a specific chipset requirement. This flash is also DESTRUCTIVE.

Many motherboards have different SATA chipsets. If yours does, try them all (not every connection, just one for each group. See your motherboard for details).

1. set SATA to AHCI
2. run the firmware update tool

If you're still stuck then you may need to borrow a different computer. This firmware is also a Release Candidate so you may wish to wait no matter what since it's almost guaranteed they'll be adding a new firmware soon.

DESTRUCTIVE FLASH:
Whenever you apply new firmware, assume it will be destructive even if it isn't. Therefore, I recommend that you either create an IMAGE with a tool like Acronis True Image or CLONE if you have a spare drive to CLONE too.

Here's a cool disc for doing MEMTEST, CLONING etc:
www.ultimatebootcd.com